Vietnam Airlines | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Vietnam Airlines

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauly7

AFF Supporter
Hi, have a stupid quick question, I'm flying to Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City on Vietnam Airlines 782, its not a Qantas codeshare - so do I still earn FF points and status credits for this flight?​

Also I'm flying business, I've heard Vietnam are awful, its a new 777 (which I loath to begin with) so I'm getting a bit stressed about the flight!​

Unfortunately its the cheapest business flight I can find to Saigon on that date..... and direct (which I wouldn't care about if I could get a J seat on another oneworld carrier around about the same price...)​

Any help would be appreciated.

(Also why can't you search and book Vietnam flights from qantas.com?)​

Last edited:

JohnK

AFF Supporter
pauly7 said:
Hi, have a stupid quick question, I'm flying to Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City on Vietnam Airlines 782, its not a Qantas codeshare - so do I still earn FF points and status credits for this flight?
As far as I know you only get SC's and FF points if you are on the QF codeshare.

pauly7 said:
(Also why can't you search and book Vietnam flights from qantas.com?)
It is possible!

If your city of origin is SYD, MEL, BNE or ADL then Ho Chi Minh City appears as a destination when searching for international flights. The codeshares are QF358 from SYD/MEL-SGN and QF359 from SGN-SYD/MEL on different days.​

NM

Flights
My Map
pauly7 said:
Hi, have a stupid quick question, I'm flying to Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City on Vietnam Airlines 782, its not a Qantas codeshare - so do I still earn FF points and status credits for this flight?​
Vietnam Airlines is not a Qantas FF partner so no QF FF points are earned. SCs are only paid for QF flight number of OneWorld partner flights. Since your example is neither of these cases, no SCs will be earned.

pauly7

AFF Supporter
NM said:
Vietnam Airlines is not a Qantas FF partner so no QF FF points are earned. SCs are only paid for QF flight number of OneWorld partner flights. Since your example is neither of these cases, no SCs will be earned.
OK thanks - so is John correct above, so if I get this flight ticketed as a QF codeshare I will get SC points and FF points?

Does anyone else have a more comfortable way of getting to Saigon in J without doubling the price?!

Thanks

Mal

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
pauly7 said:
OK thanks - so is John correct above, so if I get this flight ticketed as a QF codeshare I will get SC points and FF points?

Does anyone else have a more comfortable way of getting to Saigon in J without doubling the price?!

Thanks
Singapore Airlines have trips available from $4200+++ in J. May be worth having a look at (although not direct... would be SYD-SIN // SIN-Saigon)

Thai Airlines and Malaysian Airlines also both have deals for around $3400+++ - I'd probably travel them before Vietnam Airlines IMHO.

NM

Flights
My Map
pauly7 said:
Yes, if you use the QF flight number you will earn both Qantas FF points (including status and cabin bonuses) and Status Credits.

pauly7

AFF Supporter
NM said:
Yes, if you use the QF flight number you will earn both Qantas FF points (including status and cabin bonuses) and Status Credits.
Thanks.
Hopefully I don't have to fly Vietnam, keeping an eye out for other J fares.
Cheers

dajop

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
IIRC, QF don't sell their code in J class on VN flights, only in economy classes. So if travelling up the front of the bus, you won't be able to earn points or SC's.

pauly7

AFF Supporter
dajop said:
IIRC, QF don't sell their code in J class on VN flights, only in economy classes. So if travelling up the front of the bus, you won't be able to earn points or SC's.
No Way!! Damn, no one picked that up! Thanks! there is no way in hell I'm flying them then now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kctt