VA to withdraw from GET | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

VA to withdraw from GET

Standby

After reducing schedules in Jan, VA surprised they didn't shrink the market to profitability. Last Flights 21July

Must...Fly!

AFF Supporter
Yes well, they went from running turboprop F50s to F100s so it's surprising this didn't happen sooner given how bad the yields would be.

Buy an airline, scrap its old planes, buy it new planes, park the new planes, pay another airline partly owned by your major competitor to fly for you or just stop serving the routes altogether

NZflygirl

Established Member
REX will be doing well in WA! Albany & Esperance also used to be serviced.

Bagpuss

REX will be doing well in WA! Albany & Esperance also used to be serviced.
For sure, apparently REX is doing well with their WA services (they also have Carnarvon and Monkey Mia). They have the right sized aircraft and schedule appropriately.

Sludge321

Flights
My Map
As a Perth resident It's such a shame to see VA cutting services (whilst understandable), especially after aquiring SkyWest. It wasn't too long ago they flew Albany/Esperance, and internationally to Bali and Thailand (and for a very short period Johannesburg, and that planned A330 route to AUH).

I guess they have introduced (seasonal) direct routes to Canberra, Hobart, and the Gold Coast - but I think this could have been more to do with the withdrawl of A330 services for the Hong Kong routes.

AIRwin

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I guess they have introduced (seasonal) direct routes to Canberra, Hobart, and the Gold Coast - but I think this could have been more to do with the withdrawl of A330 services for the Hong Kong routes.
And a shiny new T1 in PER...

NZflygirl

Established Member
For sure, apparently REX is doing well with their WA services (they also have Carnarvon and Monkey Mia). They have the right sized aircraft and schedule appropriately.
I didn't know you could fly to those destinations. Good to know.

Bagpuss

The routes were introduced due to gaps in the marketplace and Virgin believing them to be profitable.
These services are operated by B737.
However, it would take pressure off the “non stop” flights.

Bagpuss

As a Perth resident It's such a shame to see VA cutting services (whilst understandable), especially after aquiring SkyWest. It wasn't too long ago they flew Albany/Esperance, and internationally to Bali and Thailand (and for a very short period Johannesburg, and that planned A330 route to AUH).
They surprising still fly Port Hedland to Bali.
As Etihad pulled out of Perth it probably reflects it was wise not to fly to AUH. Anyway, one you got to AUH you would have had to connect onto Etihad if you were going to another destination which I think the majority of passengers would have done. Having the two different experience may have led to some passenger dissatisfaction.
Whilst it is a shame they have cut passenger services, VARA must be doing OK with charter as it now has a bigger fleet and haven’t reduced the F100 fleet .... yet.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LLL