Using Points To Fly a Friend to Australia? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Using Points To Fly a Friend to Australia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powervideo

I'd like to fly a friend from Singapore to Melbourne return using my Qantas FF points. She would be travelling alone. Are their any FF gotchas in this?

Cheers,
Peter

NM

Flights
My Map
powervideo said:
I'd like to fly a friend from Singapore to Melbourne return using my Qantas FF points. She would be travelling alone. Are their any FF gotchas in this?

Cheers,
Peter
If using Qantas FF points for this trip, then you need to be aware of the program rules that state you can only redeem flights for eligible family members. The terms and conditions posted on the Qantas web site define the relationships that are considered eligible family members.

Some other FF programs allow redemptions for people who are not related.

kpc

AFF Supporter
She will have to be an "eligible family member" for you to use your FF points for her:

'Eligible Family Member' of a member means any person the Member can demonstrate, to the reasonable satisfaction of Qantas, as being related to that Member in any of the ways described below:
  • Husband/Wife
  • Parent/Step-parent
  • Domestic Partner/De Facto
  • Child, including foster & step-child
  • Brother/Sister
  • Half Brother/Sister
  • Grandparent
  • Grandchild
  • Son/Daughter-in-law
  • Brother/Sister-in-law
  • Father/Mother-in-law
  • Uncle/Aunt
  • Nephew/Niece
  • First cousin
Having said that, QF don't seem very strict on enforcing the rule: Maybe she can be your cousin...;)

Mal

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Depends really on the type of "friend".

There's always the "domestic partner/de facto" category, that could apply if they're a certain type of friend.

Otherwise, a long lost First cousin, or nephew/niece could quite probably fit the bill well!

I don't think Qantas actively checks, but they could at any stage, or activity on your account could flag suspicion enough for manual checks.

Is it worth it? All up to you...

simongr

Enthusiast
One thing that I dont understand is that our business uses a corporate Amex card for all possible payments in NZ. The card is in the name of one of our staff in NZ. Points accrue to a FF account and the points are used to fly any/all staff. I have never understood how this works - and it does. They recently flew 12 staff members to Oz from NZ.

NM

Flights
My Map
simongr said:
One thing that I dont understand is that our business uses a corporate Amex card for all possible payments in NZ. The card is in the name of one of our staff in NZ. Points accrue to a FF account and the points are used to fly any/all staff. I have never understood how this works - and it does. They recently flew 12 staff members to Oz from NZ.
If they have any sense, they will launder the points through AA and save a fortune in fuel surcharges, avoid the requirement to be a family member, and be earning towards lifetime AA status (Gold = 1 million miles, Plat = 2 million miles).

simongr

Enthusiast
Hadn't thought about that M - I might suggest it. Due to some management changes recently though it might not be in the forefront of their minds here in Oz - but might suggest it to NZ management.

Mind you they will not earn as many points as charges are made on corporate Amex so earn rate wouldnt be as high.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

AFF on Air Podcast

• The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dajan