Using points for upgrades on nonAA flights | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Using points for upgrades on nonAA flights

Status
Not open for further replies.

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
Hi all
I am slowly spreading the Gospel of AA at the moment and one question I have is whether you can use your AA points to upgrade flights. I know that the "price" of buying a flight outright is much cheaper on AA than QF but was wondering if you could use AA points to say upgrade SYD-MEL on QF? Of if work pays for mrs sim to fly SYD-LHR economy whilst I fly Business - whether I could use points to upgrade her flights?

I couldnt find that sort of thing in the table of redemption values on

Cheers
S
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
You can only use AA points to upgrade AA flights. If you were to fly SYD-HNL-ORD-LHR for example , you could use points to upgrade the HNL-LHR-HNL parts of the journey

If flying SYD-LHR via Easterm Hemisphere, then you would need to get a Business Award flight

Dave
 

Altair

Active Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
823
simongr said:
Hi all
I am slowly spreading the Gospel of AA at the moment and one question I have is whether you can use your AA points to upgrade flights. I know that the "price" of buying a flight outright is much cheaper on AA than QF but was wondering if you could use AA points to say upgrade SYD-MEL on QF? Of if work pays for mrs sim to fly SYD-LHR economy whilst I fly Business - whether I could use points to upgrade her flights?

I couldnt find that sort of thing in the table of redemption values on

Cheers
S
Outside of codeshares the answer that my TA and another AAFF is "NO".
This is where some *A programmes are better where signed up partner airlines offer it.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
Thanks - I guessed this was the case. Doesnt really impact me - I have enough QF FF points (existing) for quite a few domestic upgrades and all my int'l flights should be business class (except for WT+ to BKK and econ [hoping to upgrade] to AKL this weekend) - just thinking for friends who might want to switch to AA...

I am going to do a little comparison table for one of my friends as she is QF WP and probably does about 8 J class int't flights a year minimum - mostly Europe/USA.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,792
Flights
My Map
simongr said:
Thanks - I guessed this was the case. Doesnt really impact me - I have enough QF FF points (existing) for quite a few domestic upgrades and all my int'l flights should be business class (except for WT+ to BKK and econ [hoping to upgrade] to AKL this weekend) - just thinking for friends who might want to switch to AA...

I am going to do a little comparison table for one of my friends as she is QF WP and probably does about 8 J class int't flights a year minimum - mostly Europe/USA.
Similarly, I keep my credit card earned points to move to QF FF when I need to top-up for upgrades. But I save those for the international flights generally. And retailing QF Plat for another 13 months and then lifetime Gold after that also helps with the waitlist priority for the international upgrades.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
I think if I was close to lifetime gold or silver I wouldnt be moving to AA quite so soon. As it is I only have 1700SCs at the moment and an earn rate for the next few years of maybe 1000-1200 a year (maybe more - but who knows) so its a long time to LT PS/SG
 

Altair

Active Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
823
simongr said:
I think if I was close to lifetime gold or silver I wouldnt be moving to AA quite so soon. As it is I only have 1700SCs at the moment and an earn rate for the next few years of maybe 1000-1200 a year (maybe more - but who knows) so its a long time to LT PS/SG
Well I have to believe in the afterlife as that will be when I earn LTSG at current rates.:rolleyes:
 

Alan in CBR

Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2004
Messages
308
Altair said:
Outside of codeshares the answer that my TA and another AAFF is "NO".
This is where some *A programmes are better where signed up partner airlines offer it.
Can't upgrade codeshares either. Must be AA marketed and operated, i.e. AA flight number on AA aircraft.
 

Alan in CBR

Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2004
Messages
308
mick said:
That's what they say, but not necessarily what they do... :)

See my post in Flying QF on AA FF number - getting an upgrade process? .
OK, I obviously didn't express myself properly. Your situation (which was a neat trick, by the way) was a different issue.

simongr asked about using AA points to upgrade a QF SYD-MEL flight. Altair responded that "outside of codeshares" it would not be possible. That could easily be read to imply that a QF operated flight carrying an AA codeshare could be upgraded using AA points. My post was intended to make sure no-one was left under the misapprehension that this was actually the case. QF operated flights cannot be upgraded using AA points under any circumstances.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
Thanks Alan - that is sad but i will cope ;) Luckily as I have said many times now - all int'l travel for me is either business travel (in business class) or it doesnt happen so I dont upgrade and for domestic I will use CC points. Might ask friends if its a big deal for them not to upgrade...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
81,220
Messages
1,872,317
Members
49,051
Latest member
buka
Top