Using Mastercard Gift Cards.

xr6er

I know this isn't 100% Velocity related, but I reckon a lot of Velocity people would be doing this at the moment due to recent FlyBuys offers.
I bought a heap of Mastercard gift cards during the Coles Flybuys 2000 points offers.
I trying to work out how to use them properly, sometimes it wants a PIN, sometimes wants a signature and sometimes it asks for nothing.
My most confusing moments is when they only have a couple of dollars left on them so I need to use multiple cards.
For example, I'm at the Coles self check out, I'm buying $10 worth of groceries, there's $3.54 left on the gift card, I want to use my credit card to pay the other $6.46.
How do I enter the payment type, do I select "card", "gift card" of "combination". Do I sign or PIN
The checkout girls seem to get confused about it.

Find the staff and say you want to split payment.

I tend to use them to pay health insurance, gas/electricity, rates, or rego online. No faffing about with remainders.

How do I enter the payment type, do I select "card", "gift card" of "combination". Do I sign or PIN
Never say "gift card", it'll only create confusion. Yours is just a Mastercard for all intents and purposes.

At the check-out there is a button to pay by Card (Split Payment), mixed payment, or something along those lines, choose/say that and enter your amount(s), and then pay it by card. Never press the gift card button.

Last edited:
I trying to work out how to use them properly, sometimes it wants a PIN, sometimes wants a signature and sometimes it asks for nothing.
If you are talking about the Coles MasterCard, then select credit, and enter 0000 as PIN
My most confusing moments is when they only have a couple of dollars left on them so I need to use multiple cards.
I go to Coles / Woolworths and use the last 80c to pay for grocery or Opal card.
For example, I'm at the Coles self check out, I'm buying $10 worth of groceries, there's $3.54 left on the gift card, I want to use my credit card to pay the other $6.46.
How do I enter the payment type, do I select "card", "gift card" of "combination".
You need to select split payment, then press card payment. The gift card option is for paying with Coles gift cards / Woolworths gift cards only.
Do I sign or PIN
The EFTPOS terminals at Coles and Woolworths don't ask for PIN number for these cards. You press 0000 as PIN if you use this card at a cafe for example.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back