USA ESTA asks for social media IDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had to renew my ESTA for an upcoming visit and noted the form now asks about your presence on social media.
I am assuming this is fairly recent as the questions have not yet appeared on at least a couple of those agency" sites that helpfully offer to take extra money for your application.
It wants a screen name or user ID. Password not requested.
Could be a number of new accounts set up on FB and the rest :cool:

Pushka

Veteran Member
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
My understanding is that supplying that information is currently optional.
Same

And goodness knows how on earth they think they can get the accurate info anyway. It's like expecting people with nasty plans in mind to stick up their hands.

Get paid up to 25% in real cash from your everyday purchases from leading companies such as Virgin Australia, Booking.com, Coles, Apple, Microsoft and much more. Free to join and no catches!

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Dr Ralph

Enthusiast
Solutions
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
I wonder if/when it becomes compulsory.

When you are provided with one at the time of your birth.

Otherwise the majority of the planet wont be able to respond to this requirement.

Himeno

Established Member
Solutions
It has asked that for a while. Was added at least 16 months ago.

Daver6

Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Next they'll want to know your AFF handle :shock:

JohnPhelan

Established Member
And goodness knows how on earth they think they can get the accurate info anyway. It's like expecting people with nasty plans in mind to stick up their hands.

They also ask if you are a terrorist.

Qantas
Platinum
It is optional but I told Ms FM to fill hers in, as the last thing you want is them to do a search and find someone with the same name whose Facebook page is a lot more controversial!

The other thing that is new since I last did one is asking if you have ever held a passport of another country and if you answer yes then you have to fill in the details. I did hold another one 40 years ago and have no idea of the details, so that is a major pain. You would think some sort of limitation would be sensible, like in the last 10 years....

Hvr

Enthusiast
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Next they'll want to know your AFF handle :shock:

On a slightly serious note if you listed your FT handle then TSA may well treat you differently. Possibly not in a good way.

Strategic Aviation

Established Member
Can't believe it's already been five years since Caution on Twitter urged as tourists barred from US - BBC News:-

After the interview, Homeland Security reported: "Mr Bryan confirmed that he had posted on his Tweeter website account that he was coming to the United States to dig up the grave of Marilyn Monroe.

"Also on his tweeter account Mr Bryan posted he was coming to destroy America."

burmans

On a slightly serious note if you listed your FT handle then TSA may well treat you differently. Possibly not in a good way.
You mean, something like a serious probing?

Pushka

Veteran Member
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Not this lifetime. I refuse to give them anything.

They make the rules if you want to enter. But in reality the only place they could really find you is Facebook. Assuming you use a real name.

JohnK

Veteran Member
They make the rules if you want to enter. But in reality the only place they could really find you is Facebook. Assuming you use a real name.
I use my real name for email. They can't have access to my emails. And as far as they are concerned I don't do Social Media.

They'll stop you entering if you don't do Social Media?

Pushka

Veteran Member
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
I use my real name for email. They can't have access to my emails. And as far as they are concerned I don't do Social Media.

They'll stop you entering if you don't do Social Media?

And you call AFF????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Palmy

Staff online