US Visa Waiver Enquiry

Discussion in 'Your Questions' started by JamesAus, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. JamesAus

JamesAus Newbie

Jul 14, 2007
    Hi everyone

My girlfriend and I are intending to travel around the US. We know about the visa waiver program, which allows us to stay in the US for up to 90 days. What we would like to know is whether or not we could travel from US to Canada, after staying in US for 90 days, stay in Canada for a month or so, and then re-enter US again and stay there for another 2 month before heading back home to Australia.

Thanks!

2. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    From a recent thread, I seem to recall that you cannot do that

Dave

3. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #3 Mal, Jul 14, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
    Yep, no can do.

An entry into a bordering country (eg Canada or Mexico) doesn't extend your 90 days.

There may be a loophole around flying back in on a 'signatory carrier' (and thus getting a whole new period of admission), but I'm not sure that flights from Canada etc are included.

Overview of the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) - CBP.gov

4. d15.in.oz

d15.in.oz Member

Nov 28, 2006
    I will be blunt… Immigration officers aren’t dumb, they are hired & trained to be smart.

The VWP is for Aussie tourists wanting to visit the USA for under 90 days… you want 5 months! (Fair enough, it's a huge, wonderful place.) So go and apply for a visa, and chat to the consular official in an interview… If they like you, and think your visit to their country will add value, then you will get a visa, if not, you won’t.

5. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    I agree with the above; it may be a hassle to go and get a visa, but it is needed and I doubt that a 5 month visit would likely cause difficulty in getting a visa approved

Dave

6. JamesAus

JamesAus Newbie

Jul 14, 2007
    Thanks for the replies, guys!