Upgrades on split PNRs | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Upgrades on split PNRs

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctau

Flights
My Map
Back in October I booked some flights for (now-)mrsdoctau and I for the start of July in mixed Y/J, and since we were getting married before then used my surname which she's taking. That turns out to have been a stupid thing to do because, as I've now found out, three months isn't apparently enough time to get passports changed - Births, Deaths and Marriages haven't even gotten our marriage certificate to us seven weeks later. Being a month out with little chance of having it done, I'm in the process of changing passenger names.

I talked to Qantas and they were quite helpful, despite the fact it's made complex by being a mix of QF, QF codeshare on EK, and MH flights. To do it, they've split the PNR and I'm wondering how that's going to affect an upgrade request.

From what I read, we'd then be considered for upgrades separately (me as SG and her as NB) on the QF Y segment. I don't think mrsdoctau would be very happy with us split between two cabin (even if she somehow got one and I didn't). If one of us got an upgrade and the other didn't, can you reject it or is it too late at that point?

Maybe the best idea would be to check the J cabin load a few days before, and cancel the requests if it's unlikely we'd both get upgraded.

Hvr

AFF Supporter
Can the PNRs be rejoined or a note made that any upgrade request must be successful for both parties?

Once the upgrade has been processed you generally lose your original seat so if you're currently seated together in desirable seats you may end up apart for that journey.

doctau

Flights
My Map
My limited understanding is that once split, you can't re-join PNRs and all you can do is have a TCP (To Complete Party) annotation on the ticket so they are "linked". I guess it can't hurt to ask though once they're stopped fiddling with the PNR setting everything back up.

suparockin

Flights
My Map
You can tell you're just getting married, the rest of us would just put in the requests on the seperate bookings and pray that we get the upgrade instead of the wife!

You'll be together forever, a few hours on a plane while you sleep and watch movies isn't a big deal after all.

doctau

Flights
My Map
You can tell you're just getting married, the rest of us would just put in the requests on the seperate bookings and pray that we get the upgrade instead of the wife!
The flight is question is one of the outgoing one on our few-months-later honeymoon, so I think it's best to keep her on side ;)

doctau

Flights
My Map
So two and a half weeks after splitting it, her QF codeshare on EK flight has finally re-ticketed. Apparently to change a name, they have to cancel the booking and rebook it again through the Qantas-Emirates helpdesk, which is very slow (and loses your seat selection etc). On the good side, they appear to have forgotten to charge me the change fee :)

I know it's three weeks our, but flight loadings are looking good for getting a points upgrade so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LindySav