UpgradeMe pricing and success | Page 36 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

UpgradeMe pricing and success

Quickstatus

VA824 SYD-MEL Sunday 0900
Getaway fare Q fare basis $210
$120 bid - dial needle showing mid “weak”
Minimum was $100
Upgrade success 4 days prior

SG status

Last edited:

toowongman

Booked Getaway fare two weeks ago for Saturday's MEL-MCY VA1507. Weak upgrade $160, successful last night.

nathrek

VA898 SYD-MEL 10pm
Getaway fare
Weak bid of $110
Gold status
Upgrade approved 4 days in advance

Normally don't bother with business class on the SYD-MEL trip but I've got a really long work day and will be rushing to make the final flight out of Sydney so no time to stop at the lounge. Looking forward to a meal and a wine and probably falling asleep.

Jude Starr

I can’t complain...my last couple of BNE-MEL return flights I have managed to nab upgrades for $120-$150 per leg, which I am more than OK with.

mandja

Intern
Discount economy OOL-MEL
Will an upgrade to business give SC points?
Even if bid?

mandja

Intern
Discount economy OOL-MEL
Will an upgrade to business give SC points?
Even if bid?

I think i hjave just seen that it does NOT give extra SC.
That said, can I BUY upgrade and if so, SC for that on OOL-MEL? What is likely cost? Im trying to get SC to retain Gold

D

Deleted member 29185

You get the SCs due to a discount economy fare. The only way to gain additional SCs (AFAIK) is to either change the tix to a higher class fare (paying the current rate) or fly on an "any seat" award. Apart from that, Fly Buys gives some SCs, which may help depending on how many SCs you need to retain gold.

Drakecula

Flights
My Map
Noob question, as I've never worried about bidding for an upgrade before. But I have flights coming up booked in J HKG-MEL-CBR and at the time of booking it said the MEL-CBR leg was in Y. Not a big deal, I assumed J was already full for that flight. But I just received an email saying I could bid for an upgrade to J. I'm tempted to call up and ask whether we could be put in J given I paid for a J fare. But maybe the fare I paid was slightly cheaper due to that last leg being in Y and so then I have to bid like everyone else.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice much appreciated. This is my first adventure past Y.

EDIT: Okay, I'm learning new things all the time. I called up VA to ask, and the reason why that leg at time of booking was in Y was because there were no J saver seats (I purchased J saver fare), and there still aren't, only the next fare up seats. Makes sense. And the call centre person was lovely, so that was a bonus. I'm not worried about being in Y for that last leg, it's such a short trip, I was merely curious.

Last edited:

cory

Intern
I wonder if VA will consider this transcon as far as catering goes. Perth <>Mel, Syd, Bris all get basic meal/alcohol included yet Per<>Darwin which is longer than Mel gets a biscuit and finger sandwich.

texanaust

Intern
No upgrade updates in a while. BNE-SYD, 11am flight $130 min bid accepted at T-80 midweek. Personally I think the minimum bid for this sector is too high. Should be about $100 IMHO. SYD-LST, 2:30pm flight $120-also a min bid accepted at T-80 midweek. Forgot to mention Getaway fares with 10% promo code.

Last edited:

danielt25

BNE/CNS getaway $168 fare successful minimum bid $150 confirmed 72 hours prior to departure

Flights
My Map
HK - SYD Getaway, bid the min $450 for Mrs Mac (WP) just over 3 days before flight and was accepted about 3 hours later. When selecting seat, she was only the 4th in the 20 person cabin. Now regret booking myself and kids on points!!

bl5965

Flights
My Map
I'm flying VA1375 LST-MEL tomorrow, put in the minimum bid $70 yesterday (T-48, and includes 20% discount). I'm VA WP.

Still no response and there's 6 hrs until the T-24 cut-off where they notify successful bids.

Is there anyone I can chase up about this, or just wait until the cut-off and see what happens?

Pleb Status

Established Member
I'm flying VA1375 LST-MEL tomorrow, put in the minimum bid $70 yesterday (T-48, and includes 20% discount). I'm VA WP.

Still no response and there's 6 hrs until the T-24 cut-off where they notify successful bids.

Is there anyone I can chase up about this, or just wait until the cut-off and see what happens?
Showing as sold out in both Y and J on 03AUG18....

bl5965

Flights
My Map
Showing as sold out in both Y and J on 03AUG18....
Wow, 2 out of 3 flights tomorrow are completely sold out, and the other one is close to selling out.

I wonder why the huge demand in traffic between Launceston and Melbourne tomorrow...

Edit: Offer now declined at $70.

Last edited:

Must...Fly!

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
Wow, 2 out of 3 flights tomorrow are completely sold out, and the other one is close to selling out.

I wonder why the huge demand in traffic between Launceston and Melbourne tomorrow...

Edit: Offer now declined at $70.
Friday is probably sufficient enough reason.

clipped_wings

Established Member
Flights
My Map
Noob question, as I've never worried about bidding for an upgrade before. But I have flights coming up booked in J HKG-MEL-CBR and at the time of booking it said the MEL-CBR leg was in Y. Not a big deal, I assumed J was already full for that flight. But I just received an email saying I could bid for an upgrade to J. I'm tempted to call up and ask whether we could be put in J given I paid for a J fare. But maybe the fare I paid was slightly cheaper due to that last leg being in Y and so then I have to bid like everyone else.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice much appreciated. This is my first adventure past Y.

EDIT: Okay, I'm learning new things all the time. I called up VA to ask, and the reason why that leg at time of booking was in Y was because there were no J saver seats (I purchased J saver fare), and there still aren't, only the next fare up seats. Makes sense. And the call centre person was lovely, so that was a bonus. I'm not worried about being in Y for that last leg, it's such a short trip, I was merely curious.
I would still hold out hope for the domestic J seat. Check 1 - days before your flight and see if it opens up.