Upgrade offers

burmans

Had a weird one today. I've an Amex Velocity card, largely for the signon offer. When due to renew I've always rung up and tried to negotiate the annual fee to which the response has always been no way but we can downgrade you to the free Amex Discovery card. So I've done this (3 times now) and have always received an offer within a few months to upgrade usually with about 60K points and half price annual fee (this time it was $200 off) for 3K spend in 90 days.

So I got this a week ago and jumped on it, <200 for 60K points and a free flights is a good deal. But just logging in have noticed I have another offer, 60K QFF points and $200 of for the Amex Ultimate card. Decisions, decisions! Incidentally the new card cam really quickly, got it within 3 days.

Unfortunately only open until 15/04 so getting the Velocity points and then getting the second upgrade not an option. Not sure Velocity will be impressed with Amex and Qantas conspiring to poach customers.

I've seen that Qantas offer too after upgrading and think it's just a glitch. There's another bug in the upgrade system whereby upgraded cards may be stuck on the older loyalty program too. Realised my upgraded Qantas Ultimate is stuck on Qantas Discovery as the rewards option, and my upgraded Velocity Platinum is also stuck on Velocity Escape as the rewards option. Means that transactions are earning at the wrong rate. Hoping it sorts itself out so that I don't have to call...

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I clicked through on the link out of curiosity as I'm hunting around for some "easy" QF points atm - doesn't look like it's mentioned the points or any exclusions for me - it picked my Essentials card which I've been warehousing for a while - didn't offer me a choice. Assuming the bonus points do post, looks like a good option. Will Amex allow you to downgrade to a non-QF card if you wish to down the track?

I'm not planning to make this change just to get my SUB then a pro-rata refund (the SUB of 50K is pretty close to the current SUB of 60K for "new" customers). If I'm going to need to close this account as part of a housing loan application, will I get a pro-rata refund? Good that this won't involve a credit file inquiry.

1682151632399.png

Amex used to allow you to downgrade to a non-QF card . it worked when i had the elevate card upgraded to ultimate then was given choice essential or discovery for the downgrade a year later. but on the most recent downgrade they said the only choice was a discovery card. yes its good option since there is no credit check, not sure minimum limit decrease maybe $2000 for the discovery when you apply for a home loan? but then to do a future upgrade not sure what the minimum limit would be perhaps 3k? if you call amex they may even let you decrease it to $1000 like i did in the past, if you tell them you need to make a home loan application not sure it that trick still works now? i see in the new terms that you may not receive bonus points if you have received them in a past upgrade. so it will be interesting let us know how you go and if you get the bonus points if you weren't targeted? btw they used offer full annual refund if downgraded within 30 or 60 days and prorated refund but not sure now days.

Last edited:
Amex used to allow you to downgrade to a non-QF card . it worked when i had the elevate card upgraded to ultimate then was given choice essential or discovery for the downgrade a year later. but on the most recent downgrade they said the only choice was a discovery card. yes its good option since there is no credit check, not sure minimum limit decrease maybe $2000 for the discovery when you apply for a home loan? but then to do a future upgrade not sure what the minimum limit would be perhaps 3k? if you call amex they may even let you decrease it to $1000 like i did in the past, if you tell them you need to make a home loan application not sure it that trick still works now? i see in the new terms that you may not receive bonus points if you have received them in a past upgrade. so it will be interesting let us know how you go and if you get the bonus points if you weren't targeted? btw they used offer full annual refund if downgraded within 30 or 60 days and prorated refund but not sure now days.

This is a rookie question - if you upgrade, say from QF Discovery to a QF Ultimate card, would that require a credit enquiry (as you mentioned that downgrading doesn't) especially if you've proven to be a reliable user of your existing card?

there are no credit checks for existing card holders doing upgrades you just get the same credit limit you currently have. but if you do a credit limit increase that would involve a credit check unless you have other amex cards with higher limits you can ask to move part of that limit over to another amex card you hold with a credit check. i like amex for allowing you to do this and i have done in the past not sure if it can still be done these days with out a credit check.?

If they initiate the upgrade (ie it’s an ‘offer’), my experience is no but may be different if you are the one asking.

there are no credit checks for existing card holders doing upgrades you just get the same credit limit you currently have. but if you do a credit limit increase that would involve a credit check unless you have other amex cards with higher limits you can ask to move part of that limit over to another amex card you hold with a credit check. i like amex for allowing you to do this and i have done in the past not sure if it can still be done these days with out a credit check.?
If they initiate the upgrade (ie it’s an ‘offer’), my experience is no but may be different if you are the one asking.
That's great to read. Thank you for the quick and very informative responses.

on another note how does one find your QFF joining date? i know it shows on your membership card: Member since: but what if you lost your QFF card how do you know the date.

found this current offer . The American Express Qantas Ultimate Card®

just wonder if someone is not targeted and has taken up offer recently did you receive the points? in the past i did get the points. best do screen prints incase.

appears I waited too long. Just checked back to do it tonight. The upgrade offer is now for 20,000 points. I might give it a miss. Plenty of better offers out there.

Unless there is a different link.

1683195948384.png

Gee, I thought the upgrade offer prior to this change was poor but now it's the pits. 20K points? That's it? A year ago it was 60K points and a discount off the annual fee.

I've been through a few iterations of downgrading to the discovery before receiving an upgrade offer a few months later for a decent bonus point deal. However it looks like that plan is no longer worth it. Might need to can it and do the 18 month waiting period.

It's been 6 months since my last downgrade and i've not received an upgrade offer in that time (usually 3-4 month post downgrade i've received an upgrade offer). Sounds like I wont be getting a decent one anytime soon.

New offer yesterday is 60000 points and $200 statement credit. That's one of the better ones.
Is that a discovery to ultimate upgrade?
How was the offer made? Logging into app? email? Or post?

Flying internationally in a couple of weeks and would be happy to upgrade with a deal like this to access the lounge at MEL

Any intel would be appreciated so that I can try my luck on Amex customer service chat.

Thanks for posting!

Last edited:
Is that a discovery to ultimate upgrade?
How was the offer made? Logging into app? email? Or post?

Flying internationally in a couple of weeks and would be happy to upgrade with a deal like this to access the lounge at MEL

Any intel would be appreciated so that I can try my luck on Amex customer service chat.

Thanks for posting!
Got the offer via email

Attachments

• IMG_1578.png
    IMG_1578.png
    294.1 KB · Views: 26

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back