Upcoming CX Flights - Should I try and cancel now? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Upcoming CX Flights - Should I try and cancel now?

sng1205

Newbie
Joined
Feb 13, 2020
Messages
8
Hi all! My husband and I have a few CX flights coming up. We are not sure if we should cancel now or wait and see what happens.

All flights have been booked via OTA.

27 April: KIX to SYD on Economy Class
15 May: SYD to LONDON via HK on Business Class
7 June: HK to SYD on Business Class

What do you think? Any help will be appreciated! TIA.
 
Last edited:

tomcut2000

Active Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2014
Messages
768
it is too hard to say as to what will happen to the virus and to what will happen to schedule. best to look at alternatives while thinking of what will happen. best to defer travel if not necessary - no matter which airline you are flying with, as the virus is spreading really quickly
 

burmans

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2006
Messages
6,931
Flights
My Map
While today's news was not brilliant end April is still a long way away and in my view too soon to hit the panic button!
 

ftm

Active Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2011
Messages
633
Flights
My Map
April is a long way off and hopefully things have returned to something more normal by then. Two things come into consideration - one is the cancellation fee you’d have to pay now if you do cancel, secondly, is what the fare difference on your alternative might be between buying now and buying closer to the date. Will they jump up a lot later on if CX does cancel their flights and everyone goes looking for alternatives? CX won’t be rebooking you, they’ll just give a fee free change or full refund.

It is all crystal ball stuff, but part of the evaluation.

We have had some clients need to cancel CX now and take the hit of the cancellation fee, others we have bought a second option as ‘insurance’ and will cancel the one we don’t need later (or take the waiver if CX gives one), others we have left on CX.

2020 is going to be another difficult year for Hong Kong.
 

Ross Pringle

Newbie
Joined
May 14, 2018
Messages
3
FYI I had PE flights Perth - HK (layover) - Rome for 22nd April and returning late September from Amsterdam. These were booked late October. I have cancelled these today and was told I will receive a full refund which why I cancelled. Hopefully the full refund appears in 7 days!

I just asked CX what my options were via the online chat. I have kept a record of the conversation.
 

wandering_fred

Established Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
2,548
Flights
My Map
...
I just asked CX what my options were via the online chat. I have kept a record of the conversation.
How did that work out?

Well CX finally cancelled my trip... DPS-HKG-(USA) transPac in E class
Originally purchased Nov 2019 for Apr 2020 and rescheduled for Sep 2020 in early March. Sometimes optimism is not helpful.

The links CX provided worked reasonably well, though requesting the refund required a second attempt. The emails documenting the process contained all sorts of information designed to cover their procedures.....

As the trip included the USA, refunds (or excuses for not) are to be completed in seven days...
My credit card balance needs the help.

I wait without wandering
Fred
 

Community Statistics

Threads
86,080
Messages
2,061,937
Members
53,405
Latest member
Poh
Top