United to dump idle frequent-flier miles | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

United to dump idle frequent-flier miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reggie

Established Member
In USA Today (Monday Jan 22nd), it states under the above banner "United Arlines will erase frequent-flier miles in accounts that have been inactive for 18 months as of the end of this year." and "The airline said one effect of the change will be that its most loyal customers will compete with fewer people for award seats."

Evan

Established Member
If the accounts were 'idle' you would hardly expect them to be competeing for seats would you !
E

sully

What is their definition of idle? I use United to accrue *alliance points on other airlines. I have never flown United and don't plan to. I earned a large number of points from EK at one stage but now only really use the card for SQ flights out of SIN to nearby countries such as Malaysia, Thailand and India. Like most I try to fly OW to maximise points so only use SQ where flights are unavailable of where OW routes are too circuitous. .

Kiwi Flyer

sully said:
What is their definition of idle? I use United to accrue *alliance points on other airlines. I have never flown United and don't plan to. I earned a large number of points from EK at one stage but now only really use the card for SQ flights out of SIN to nearby countries such as Malaysia, Thailand and India. Like most I try to fly OW to maximise points so only use SQ where flights are unavailable of where OW routes are too circuitous. .
From 31 December 2007 the rule requiring activity in the past 3 years to avoid miles expiring will change to 18 months. Seems reasonable to me.

sully

Does activity mean just adding to the points, flights on UA or flights on a related carrier? I would deduce that it should be either the first two given that I have accrued points without ever having flown United.

Kiwi Flyer

Just adding points (by any means) counts as activity. Worst case if close to expiry is buy the minimum number of miles.

sully

Thanks for the clarification KF, my little hops from SIN-KUL-SIN next month will suffice then.

NM

Flights
My Map
Kiwi Flyer said:
Just adding points (by any means) counts as activity. Worst case if close to expiry is buy the minimum number of miles.
Or using points should also qualify as activity.

Reggie

Established Member
Full story - Hope this clarifies some questions.

United Arlines will erase frequent-flier miles in accounts that have been inactive for 18 months as of the end of this year. United Mileage Plus miles previously expired after three years of no activity. The change will affect travelers who haven't flown on United or one of its 28 partners, redeemed miles or used Mileage Plus Visa credit cards since July 1, 2006. The airline said one effect of the change will be that its most loyal customers will compete with fewer people for award seats. US airways also closes accounts that have been inactive for 18 months. Continental and Northwest miles dont expire. American has a 36 month time limit. Delta has a 24 month limit on exisiting accounts, but new accounts are terminated if inactive after one year.

Sorry was lazy and only put in a couple of lines for original post.

wallacej

Flights
My Map
Got an email from UA yesterday confirming that inactive accounts (after 18 months) will be terminated.... this could also assist them in removing outstanding liability from their accounts?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Christian_B