United Airlines new Virgin Australia / Velocity Partner

jase05

Established Member
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum

EuroKick

So here’s an interesting conundrum, my United ticket has me booked on the CBR—SYD leg (onto SFO) with QF. Will I get lounge access in CBR with VA?

henrus

Established Member
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Gold
So here’s an interesting conundrum, my United ticket has me booked on the CBR—SYD leg (onto SFO) with QF. Will I get lounge access in CBR with VA?
If the CBR-SYD leg is operated by QF you'd only get access if that flight is in business class or you hold relevant status for that flight (QF Club/Gold and above or oneworld emerald/sapphire).

EuroKick

If the CBR-SYD leg is operated by QF you'd only get access if that flight is in business class or you hold relevant status for that flight (QF Club/Gold and above or oneworld emerald/sapphire).
QF gold here, but have linked to Velocity (Plat) traveling in Y. All on the one ticket

SYD

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
QF gold here, but have linked to Velocity (Plat) traveling in Y. All on the one ticket
Make sure your QFF number is on the 1st leg (pretty sure VA# wouldn’t stick anyway). But QF Gold will get you in the CBR QF lounge (VA Plat on QF flight won’t get you into the CBR VA Lounge).

EuroKick

Make sure your QFF number is on the 1st leg (pretty sure VA# wouldn’t stick anyway). But QF Gold will get you in the CBR QF lounge (VA Plat on QF flight won’t get you into the CBR VA Lounge).
It’s all on the one ticket. Argh. Oh well. If one doesn’t have lounge access, Canberra is the place to be.

SYD

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
It’s all on the one ticket. Argh. Oh well. If one doesn’t have lounge access, Canberra is the place to be.
One ticket shouldn’t matter. I’ve had a mix QF, LH RTW fare with QF and UA FF#s in the system.

Flash your QF Gold card at QF Check-in in CBR and the QF lounge in CBR. If necessary, put a points claim in if your QFF number hasn’t been added.

Your bags should be checked through but in SYD, you may have to swing by UA checkin to collect your BP to SFO. There’s the opportunity to ensure your VA number us still in UA’s system and you get lounge access in SYD curtesy of VA WP (and points/SCs).

Sponsored Post

This is an example of a Sponsored Post, one of the many ways you can advertise on the Australian Frequent Flyer.

Other options include banner advertisements on our content and forum pages or our newsletter. You can also purchase an audio message on our podcast - or if you just want to try it out, you can sponsor a thread.

If you'd prefer not to see any advertisements (including these sponsored posts), you can become an AFF Supporter from just $6 and instantly remove all advertisements from our website!

SC9

Does VA Plat get complimentary access to Economy Plus, like MileagePlus Platinum members do? I can see Priority Booking and Priority Baggage, but not Priority Seating :)

BRIS_VA_HAWK

FYI managed to jag a J seat on DL40 for 21 July, so there's been another drop from Delta of J inventory. Now to wait for them to drop early August on the return leg and/or wait for the UA seats to come onto Velocity...
Whilst there hasn't been any J availability drop from DL in early August, I just managed to jag a seat in F on QF12 for the return leg. No complaints at all...except I'll have to figure out my internal flights between LAX and my various US destinations for the trip.

henrus

Established Member
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Gold
UA awards are now live on VA's site.

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 9.00.06 pm.png

VA awards on UA are still yet to go live however the odd change over period now beens both DL and UA awards are showing on VA's website
Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 9.02.01 pm.png

henrus

Established Member
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Gold
Available now. Sample shown below
Looks like travel bank but obviously not future flight credits can even be used. Very exciting after over 2 years to see VA partner international flights again!

Some other general comments... The IT integration is rather good. VA booking references that include UA operated flights now work on the UA website (but obviously there is a UA reference as well). Whilst seat selection can't be done via the VA website, as soon as the booking is made the option to select a seat on UA operated services becomes available (including the ability to pay for economy plus).

The UA systems are a bit slower as BNE-SYD-LAX is still showing BNE-SYD with Qantas/Jetstar connections right now.

Last edited: