Unaccompanied luggage

Discussion in 'Your Questions' started by GCS, Dec 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. GCS

GCS Intern

Nov 10, 2006
    My brother recently transferred at LHR to a BA fight to NRT, then on to SYD. Due to delay, the connection was tight and his luggage was forwarded on one of the other BA flights to SYD (via BKK I think).

I always understood that luggage must travel with the passenger. Could anyone shed some light on what the policy is these days.

2. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    In most cases this is the case however there can be exceptions such as when luggage goes astray

Dave

3. Lonely Flyer

Lonely Flyer Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Gold Coast
    When we travelled on AA several weeks ago we missed our connection in Dallas (their fault) and also missed next flight as it was overbooked but our luggage went and was there waiting for us as we deplaned in MCI

4. KVS

KVS
    Authenticated Company Representative

Jun 28, 2006
    KVSTool.com
    The idea is that you should not be able to knowlingly make your luggage travel on specific flight, unless you're also on it...

Otherwise, lots of shipments travel 'unaccompanied', including cargo, etc.

5. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Nope - else any baggage missing a flight would result in never getting it back (unless pax returns to that airport).

The security idea is that pax cannot choose a specific flight to put baggage onto, unless they are flying on that flight. A bit silly in that it ignores the threat of suicide bombers etc.