Question - Trust Qantas with credit card details? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Question Trust Qantas with credit card details?

Scr77

I am having trouble getting taxes refunded for a cancelled classic reward. I know that this is a well known issue, but the overseas call center operator wants me to provide the credit card numbers so they can process the refund. i Haven’t changed credit cards or anything like that.

I’ve had to chase Qantas for a few refunds over the years, but they’ve always refunded to the card on the system.

Thoughts on verbally handing over card details?

opusman

If you called them rather than the other way around why not? You already trusted them by typing your card details into their web page.

Scr77

If you called them rather than the other way around why not? You already trusted them by typing your card details into their web page.
I suppose because in the past, Qantas has always insisted on refunding to the card in the system and now they want me to hand over numbers.

opusman

Yes I agree it's unusual, but I can't see why it's more of a risk than giving them the card details in the first place.

Scr77

Yes I agree it's unusual, but I can't see why it's more of a risk than giving them the card details in the first place.
Maybe I wrongly presume that when you book online, the credit card details are not visible to every booking agent, just the last 4 digits for example. I guess with hacking nowadays, people could be Just as secure as the computer system.

ftm

Flights
My Map
There shouldn't be a need to provide the details a second time. QF definitely store the card and the refund is sent back to that card by default. Sounds strange. That said, doubt it is anything dodgy as far as fraud is concerned, more likely a QF process has broken somewhere along the line.

Scr77

Thanks for your replies. I ended up providing via the text Line. This is the 4th request over the last 4 weeks. Wish me luck!

esseeeayeenn

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Thanks for your replies. I ended up providing via the text Line. This is the 4th request over the last 4 weeks. Wish me luck!
The routine charges and refunds are now processed by "Qantas Finance" - whoever they are.
Perhaps the person you are talking to for something non-routine isn't able to access the info they have.

Daver6

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Maybe I wrongly presume that when you book online, the credit card details are not visible to every booking agent, just the last 4 digits for example. I guess with hacking nowadays, people could be Just as secure as the computer system.
When entering your card details online Qantas shouldn't be storing your credit card number at all. They'll be using a payment gateway which will supply Qantas with a token (unique number). In future when Qantas needs to charge something to your card this token is provided to the gateway provider and the charge is executed. It would be pointless for anyone to steal this token as it can't be used to charge your credit card to other providers. The money would go to Qantas.

esseeeayeenn

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
When entering your card details online Qantas shouldn't be storing your credit card number at all. They'll be using a payment gateway which will supply Qantas with a token (unique number). In future when Qantas needs to charge something to your card this token is provided to the gateway provider and the charge is executed. It would be pointless for anyone to steal this token as it can't be used to charge your credit card to other providers. The money would go to Qantas.
Well if we're going to start discussing what Qantas SHOULDN'T be doing we're going to be here a while!

AFF on Air Podcast

• Life as a Road Warrior – AIR028
    Sat, 25 Jan 2020 08:36:07 AEDT
      Ever wondered what it's like to be a road warrior, flying from Melbourne to Sydney every week or internationally multiple times each month? On this episode, AFF member "Sp ...
  • Indian Pacific & Other Epic Train Journeys – AIR027
    Sat, 11 Jan 2020 02:31:00 AEDT
      In this episode, we take a brief detour from the aviation discussion to talk about train travel! There's something nice - perhaps even romantic - about long-distance train ...
  • Status Runs – AIR026
    Sat, 14 Dec 2019 07:15:21 AEDT
      If you're a little bit short of the next airline status tier, a status run can get you over the line. In this episode, learn about the best status runs with Virgin Austral ...
  • British Airways Executive Club – AIR025
    Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:53:26 AEDT
      Many Australians join Qantas Frequent Flyer by default. But even if you fly with Qantas regularly, you could benefit by using the British Airways Executive Club frequent f ...
  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prestigehirecars