Trivago in trouble | Page 5 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Trivago in trouble

drron

Enthusiast
Yes flicking between tennis and cricket does become an automatic process.So yes it was the second 9 channel that had the ads.But also on 7 with the cricket.

CaptJCool

Established Member
Until last week, I have always got a better deal booking directly with the hotel or their rewards program than aggregators, but I always double check. For first time ever last week it was cheaper to book via Qantas hotels than it was via the rewards program or hotels.com, expedia etc - so Qantas got my booking - and I'll get QFF instead of hotel points.
I had a family member working at Hotels dot com who reckoned they provided the engine for QANTAS Hotels, and Hotels dot com is in turn owned by Expedia.
This is all true. Went to a data analytics presentation in 2014 by Expedia and they do own A lot of brands.

From a Super Bowl ad, they can determine In real time number of new app downloads etc.....

So what they are doing in price pointing customers. Who’s paying the lazy tax?

I discovered for myself on an old iPhone4 a few years ago now that Expedia provide the search engine for QF Hotels.

So that folks is like laundry detergent or toothpaste. All roads lead to the same duopoly.

These days since Wotif was sold to Expedia I book direct. I do check the aggregators in cities of which I’m unfamiliar and I’m a big fan of cheapest price for identical product.....

So that folks is like laundry detergent or toothpaste. All roads lead to the same duopoly.
I'm imagining that the duopoly are:
- Expedia group (including Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Wotif, Trivago, Travelocity, Qantas Hotels AND Virgin/Velocity Hotels, and it appears the Flight Centre online portal too)
- Booking Holdings Inc (including Priceline, Booking.com, Kayak, Agoda, Rocketmiles)

Some OTAs out there who are (still) independent of the duopoly IIRC:
- Webjet
- Kaligo
- American Express Travel (although I understand if you call, they may do it via the GDS)

p--and--t

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
I'm imagining that the duopoly are:
- Expedia group (including Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Wotif, Trivago, Travelocity, Qantas Hotels AND Virgin/Velocity Hotels, and it appears the Flight Centre online portal too)
- Booking Holdings Inc (including Priceline, Booking.com, Kayak, Agoda, Rocketmiles)

Some OTAs out there who are (still) independent of the duopoly IIRC:
- Webjet
- Kaligo
- American Express Travel (although I understand if you call, they may do it via the GDS)
See post #32

ian_baker58

The booking.com 'group' is based in Amsterdam (for billing purposes), and the 'commission' invoice comes from Amsterdam (no GST on their commission invoice to the property)
The Expedia 'group' is based in Switzerland (for billing purposes) and the "commission' invoice comes from Switzerland (no GST in their commission invoice to the property)
So - neither pay any GST in this country, and I suspect neither declare income in this country (or of they do its adjusted for 'license or franchise fees' from the overseas holding company so as to be minimal income for tax purposes in Australia)

Hmmmm.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beryl Towney