Travel insurance for +65, 'medical conditions'

Yes! unless you have say an annual policy, in which case any new condition needs to be declared, and is in essence may be ‘pre-existing’ before you depart on your next trip. For annual policies you may need to seek reapproval if a new condition crops up.
But as I said, I found covers where this does not apply. Even in annual. What you are saying is that if you buy annual cover, then develop a condition prior to the first booking in that cover means potentially not covered. Never covered in fact.

Cover more does cover you for new illnesses even for annual as follows:

The key is when each trip was booked in relation to when the new illness developed.
For example, if you purchase annual insurance in January:
Trip 1, booked before January: A genuinely new illness diagnosed in March may be covered, subject to the policy conditions (eg not pre existing)
Trip 2, also booked before January: Potentially covered too.
Trip 3, booked in April after the March diagnosis: The illness is now a pre-existing condition and may require assessment.
So it isn't necessarily only the first trip.

It confirms that for annual policies, the Relevant Time is calculated separately for each trip: when the policy was issued or when that particular trip was first paid for, whichever is later.
 
Last edited:
But as I said, I found covers where this does not apply. Even in annual. What you are saying is that if you buy annual cover, then develop a condition prior to the first booking in that cover means potentially not covered. Never covered in fact.

Cover more does cover you for new illnesses even for annual as follows:

The key is when each trip was booked in relation to when the new illness developed.
For example, if you purchase annual insurance in January:
Trip 1, booked before January: A genuinely new illness diagnosed in March may be covered, subject to the policy conditions (eg not pre existing)
Trip 2, also booked before January: Potentially covered too.
Trip 3, booked in April after the March diagnosis: The illness is now a pre-existing condition and may require assessment.
So it isn't necessarily only the first trip.

It confirms that for annual policies, the Relevant Time is calculated separately for each trip: when the policy was issued or when that particular trip was first paid for, whichever is later.
We are both saying the same thing :)

Perhaps I simplified it too much in just wanting to give an overview.

Using your example above, if you had a heart attack in March, I’m not sure any of your trips would be covered, save for cancellation cover.

It doesn’t seem logical that you’d be automatically covered if you had complications in the USA in June, and spent two weeks in the ICU.
 
Yes, I think you are right (not that I doubted you!). You need to tell them about a change in your existing conditions, but they will cover for new conditions developed while travelling - that's what insurance is for! If you have a stroke, while being otherwise healthy & no prior indications, you want to be covered.
Yes this is what I thought too - so if my existing condition worsens (which then makes my answers to the screening questions different) I have to advise them, but if something totally new comes along with no warning signs at the time you took the insurance, I expected that to be covered by insurance either to cancel if its bad enough or for treatment if needed while away. I guess the grey area here is a new issue that arises before you depart but after you have taken out the insurance. Again, I sort of expected that would be covered. As you say, that is why I have the insurance!

Edited to add: ah, I see the nuance between single trip and multi-trip policies being discussed above in relation to the timing of new illness and the booking of the next trip on a multi trip
 
Yes this is what I thought too - so if my existing condition worsens (which then makes my answers to the screening questions different) I have to advise them, but if something totally new comes along with no warning signs at the time you took the insurance, I expected that to be covered by insurance either to cancel if its bad enough or for treatment if needed while away. I guess the grey area here is a new issue that arises before you depart but after you have taken out the insurance. Again, I sort of expected that would be covered. As you say, that is why I have the insurance!

Edited to add: ah, I see the nuance between single trip and multi-trip policies being discussed above in relation to the timing of new illness and the booking of the next trip on a multi trip
A new condition after taking out insurance would be covered for cancellation. But depending on the nature of the condition, may not cover you for any related treatment or complications of you then decide to travel.
 
Elevate your business spending to first-class rewards! Sign up today with code AFF10 and process over $10,000 in business expenses within your first 30 days to unlock 10,000 Bonus PayRewards Points.
Join 30,000+ savvy business owners who:

✅ Pay suppliers who don’t accept Amex
✅ Max out credit card rewards—even on government payments
✅ Earn & transfer PayRewards Points to 10+ airline & hotel partners

Start earning today!
- Pay suppliers who don’t take Amex
- Max out credit card rewards—even on government payments
- Earn & Transfer PayRewards Points to 8+ top airline & hotel partners

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back
Top