Travel insurance - amex Plat Charge Card supplementary cardholder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isochronous

Established Member
If the supplementary cardholder of an Amex Plat charge card travels alone, are they covered by the travel/health insurance?

If the supplementary cardholder of an Amex Plat charge card travels alone, are they covered by the travel/health insurance?

Have a look at your insurance document - it has an easy to read table that shows what benefits are granted to sup cardholders.

Travel insurance is no longer one of these benefits...

Have a look at your insurance document - it has an easy to read table that shows what benefits are granted to sup cardholders.

Travel insurance is no longer one of these benefits...

Damn - was that part of the recent changes?

Tried to click the link to the T&Cs on the Amex website but the page won't load for some reason.

Damn - was that part of the recent changes?

Tried to click the link to the T&Cs on the Amex website but the page won't load for some reason.

Try this link https://icm.aexp-static.com/Internet/IntlPremiumSites/Platinum/au/en/Benefits/PDF/Insurance_TCs.pdf

Page 5 of the terms and conditions clearly sets it out.

Yes that was one of the recent changes, and to me is one of the most significant devaluations as it used to allow my parents to have travel insurance without having to pay a large annual fee of their own...

Try this link https://icm.aexp-static.com/Internet/IntlPremiumSites/Platinum/au/en/Benefits/PDF/Insurance_TCs.pdf

Page 5 of the terms and conditions clearly sets it out.

Yes that was one of the recent changes, and to me is one of the most significant devaluations as it used to allow my parents to have travel insurance without having to pay a large annual fee of their own...

Cheers for the link.

That substantially cheapens the value of the Platinum Charge Card. Why does Australia have to get such a raw deal on card benefits compared to the rest of the world!

I think NZ residents might be wise off generally for CC vendors than those in Oz.
Posted on a wing and a prayer ...

Sorry to hijack this thread, Quick question on insurance - If i pay for my family's flights with points & taxes with AMEX does that still allow us to be covered with the AMEX travel insurance, or is it only for fully paid flights on amex.

Sorry to hijack this thread, Quick question on insurance - If i pay for my family's flights with points & taxes with AMEX does that still allow us to be covered with the AMEX travel insurance, or is it only for fully paid flights on amex.

It's limited to immediate family: "You, your spouse and dependent children are covered when you pay for your travel with your Platinum Card."

The issue of what defines "paid travel" in contentious, and you best refer to The Super-thread which discusses this in detail.

Yep. Looking to get rid of plat card next renewal for the same reason

It's limited to immediate family: "You, your spouse and dependent children are covered when you pay for your travel with your Platinum Card."

The issue of what defines "paid travel" in contentious, and you best refer to The Super-thread which discusses this in detail.

And only immediate family who are travelling with you - my Supp cards are given to immediate family (parents) where they would have been covered in the past, however now they can't be covered by the insurance at all...

*sigh*

The actual wording says "You, your spouse and dependent children are covered when you pay for your travel with your Platinum Card"

The actual wording says "You, your spouse and dependent children are covered when you pay for your travel with your Platinum Card"

The scenario being that your spouse and or children are covered when travelling with you...

If they are a supplementary card holder and/or travelling alone they are not covered for travel insurance...

The scenario being that your spouse and or children are covered when travelling with you...

If they are a supplementary card holder and/or travelling alone they are not covered for travel insurance...

I suppose most spouses would be supplementary card holders, so I'm presuming that a spouse who is a supplementary card holder is OK.

The point greenfrog86 is making, is that if the spouse (or dependent children) are not travelling with you, they are not covered, regardless of whether they hold supplementary cards. This was already mentioned a few posts earlier, before you joined the conversation.

Just looking at my T&Cs for Qantas Amex Ultimate card, which are very similar to those for platinum card as per ths link at https://icm.aexp-static.com/Internet/IntlPremiumSites/Platinum/au/en/Benefits/PDF/Insurance_TCs.pdf

Just looking at the definitions of primary cardholder and supplementary cardholder

Primary Card member1. the person who applied for the American Express Platinum Card Account and who is issued an American Express Platinum Card Account as the primary account holder; and

2. their husband, wife, fiance(e), de facto or life partner with whom they have continuously cohabited for a period of six (6) months or more;

Primary Card member does not include a Supplementary Card member.

Supplementary Card member
1. a person who has been issued a supplementary card on an American Express Platinum Card Account; and

2. their husband, wife, fiance(e), de facto or life partner with whom they have continuously cohabited for a period of six (6) months or more,

The way I read this, anyone who falls in the definition of supplementary cardholder falls out of the definition of primary cardholder, by virtue of the exclusion to ‘primary card member’. The spouse of the supplementary card member is also a supplementary card member. This mean that no one is entitled to the primary card member benefits when a spouse has a supplementary card. This seems nonsensical to me. Any thoughts on this?

cheers skip

Kind of funny! I had a similar headache with Amex T&Cs when I realised after reading the contract 3 times that the word "You" also meant the spouse of the primary card holder. You really have to be a lawyer to redefine the word "YOU" :D Next time I call Amex and they ask me: "Are you having a good day Mr Defurax?" I will answer "It depends if by You, you mean my spouse and I, cause she's having a sh*$tty day, but I'm fine":shock:

Cheers for the link.

That substantially cheapens the value of the Platinum Charge Card. Why does Australia have to get such a raw deal on card benefits compared to the rest of the world!

I am fairly sure that they have done this worldwide. I read about the UK getting changed before ours.

And they won't cover your unborn child if your partner is pregnant and has the child prematurely overseas. I was told this was because the unborn child's fare was not put on the card. Not sure how you would buy a ticket for a fetus. That resulted in me cancelling the card.

Haven't read through (so someone may have answered) but I recently had this discussion with someone from ACE insurance. It has nothing to do with being a supplementary card holder, and everything to do with your spouse (or your kids) and YOU paying for HIS/HER travel with YOUR Plantinum Charge Card. If you do, they are covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back