Transfer Australian AMEX points to American AMEX points

FlyIsUndone

Hi,
I'm trying to book a flight using an airline partner that only links to US AMEX (not Australian AMEX)
Would it be possible to magically morph my Australian AMEX points into American AMEX points?
Apparently this is doable by requesting it over the phone (and only once a year) - but when I called, they said it was impossible.
Any idea on how to get this done?
Thanks

You need to open a US card which earns MR first.

See the US Amex Strategy thread in this subforum.

ANA
Through Lifemiles it's 93,000 and Aeroplan 100,000
Seems almost impossible to actually use the AMEX points I've spent 5 years saving up!

ANA
Seems almost impossible to actually use the AMEX points I've spent 5 years saving up!
Welcome to the disappointing world of trying to use your points.

If it's business class flights, then you might need to pay someone in actually money to use their points as you can't do it with AU MR points. 193k US is ~290k AU points too

ANA

So why can't you send to Virgin Atlantic?

Oh wait... AMEX Explorer can't transfer to Virgin Atlantic Club (despite coming up as a viable option on the AmEx website)?!
So AMEX 👉 Virgin Atlantic 👉 ANA is a no go.

I would have thought after hoarding all these points I would be able to use them.
I'm really starting to feel like I've been rorted by this ridiculous system.

Oh wait... AMEX Explorer can't transfer to Virgin Atlantic Club (despite coming up as a viable option on the AmEx website)?!

I would have thought after hoarding all these points I would be able to use them.
Have a look at the option of transferring your Amex points to Marriott Bonvoy, then to another frequent flyer program.

That might be because it is the gateway version of MR . You might want to consider opening a platinum edge or platinum card which uses the ascent version ( which. May permit transfer to virgin Atlantic ) . Then link the gateway and ascent mr accounts so all your MR points are I. The ascent account .

So many options to use AMEX points for an ANA flight. Hardly a rort if you reject all the available options.

1. AMEX to Marriott to Lifemiles - you already rejected this in the other thread
2. AMEX to Krisflyer then book ANA - you already rejected this in the other thread
3. AMEX to Etihad Guest then book ANA
4. AMEX to AirNZ Airpoints then book ANA
5. AMEX to Thai Royal Orchid Plus then book ANA
6. Use your AMEX points towards a cash fare on ANA

Now THESE are the options I was looking for!
Finding this (relatively straightforward) information is incredibly difficult, so I appreciate the help @aikman. Back to the drawing board.

Is there any easy way to transfer Aussie AMEX points (without loosing to much in conversions) to:
United
Aeroplan

or
AAdvantage
?

Is there any easy way to transfer Aussie AMEX points (without loosing to much in conversions) to:
United
Aeroplan

or
AAdvantage
?

Your question has already been answered. FYI United has additional bonus points when transferring from Bonvoy.

Have a look at the option of transferring your Amex points to Marriott Bonvoy, then to another frequent flyer program.

Last edited:
Thanks @sudoer . To clarify, I wanted to see if there were any other options that wouldn't loose too much in conversion. And was also wondering about Aeroplane and Advantage.

Apologies for triple-checking, but this is still very new and despite weeks of research, rather confusing...

Hypothetically, if I wanted to end up with 103,500 United points I would need to use 302,400 Amex points. Yah?

AMEX 👉 (3:2) + 50% = Bonvoy 👉 (3:1) + 25% United
302,400 👉 (201,600) 302,400 👉 (100,800) 103,500

Last edited:
Thanks @sudor for clarifying I wanted to see if there were any other options that wouldn't loose too much in conversion. And was also wondering about Aeroplane and Advantage.

Apologies for triple-checking, but this is all very new and rather confusing...

Hypothetically, if I wanted to end up with 103,500 United points I would need to use 302,400 Amex points. Yah?

AMEX 👉 (3:2) + 50% = Bonvoy 👉 (3:1) + 25% United
302,400 👉 (201,600) 302,400 👉 (100,800) 103,500
That is a lot of points to be used to get 100k united

@dein_gesicht right? That's my point. And that's will all the bonuses built in too.
I am yet to find a reasonable conversion from AMEX (Aus) to any of those afore-mentioned partners, that doesn't suck up a huge amount points.
Am I missing something here?

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back