Total beat up on QF by SMH

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by cirqueboy, May 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. cirqueboy

cirqueboy Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Sydney/Montreal
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map

2. smithy

smithy Member

Feb 23, 2011
    melbourne & darwin
    I have never been a fan of that particular SMH journo....He constantly bashes the Qantas product...

3. yohy?!

yohy?! Established Member

Nov 30, 2009
    HKG
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    arent all these surcharges just accounting trickery to enable costs to be moved around and treated differently? it really just boils down airfares being unsustainable at their current deflated levels and the airlines need to increase revenue to get back in the black.

4. mannej

mannej Senior Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Perth
    Whilst it may be a total beat up, QF have not done much to stop the cynicism that is developing against each and every move it makes.

The media have taken a fair few swipes at QF for a while now (QF unsafe, QF moving jobs offshore etc), yet you do not see QF defending itself as much as it really should.

5. RooFlyer

RooFlyer Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2012
    Tasmania
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    So what is the beat up? I haven't gone through it fare by fare, ( ? 'fair' by 'fair'? ) but the story appears to be recounting reasonably accurately the recent history of QF surcharges and market share.

I'm not saying I like the surcharges, or airline journalism in general, but this story seems to be just telling it like it is and not 'bashing the product'.

Qantas has a habit of laying a few uppercuts on itself though.

• Like Like x 3
  6. MEL_Traveller

MEL_Traveller Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2005
    Melbourne, AU
    qantas wants public assistance. debt guarantees were mentioned. changes to the sale act. complaints about wages and unions.

if qantas wants my money (tax payer money) then anyone can analyse and take a swipe if they want :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. flying_double

flying_double Member

Mar 17, 2013
    I think it's fine, posing a pretty fair question about how consumers may or may not respond to an increase in prices.

Can a travel agent on here confirm whether the Q surcharge is commissionable or not? I assume that it isn't.

8. here2go

here2go Active Member

Mar 11, 2012
    CBR
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Agree this a beat up. But then Qantas are their own worst marketing enemy. Don't charge surcharges for weekends, or extra for DFW - give discounts for travelling midweek. This is a full service airline, not JQ. When will the board sack AJ?

• Like Like x 1
  9. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Surcharges are disappointing when one redeems points for awards. That may scare some people away.

As far as airfares go it does not really matter how the airfare is made up. I think Qantas is still competitively priced on sale airfares and in my opinion a better product in economy.

• Like Like x 1