Tiger exits MCY and ASP in July

Discussion in 'Travel News' started by markis10, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    @TigerairAU: Alice Springs & Sunshine Coast flights cancelled post 22/07 due to network cancellations. Pax will be contacted within the next two weeks.

2. moa999

moa999 Senior Member

Jun 23, 2003
    Sydney
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #2 moa999, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
  3. under the radar

under the radar Established Member

Apr 8, 2010
    #3 under the radar, May 2, 2014
    shock horror :shock: ... VA blasted its way into OOL with a J/C product solely to upset the QFbrand...then VA 'bought into' TT....VA now cant sustain it brand presence and J/C product... TT is to VA...as JQ is to QF.. I actually think the QF brand will be the winner on this... as people slowly realize that TT will become VAs 'low cost subsidiary' ...and TT has less customer satisfaction than JQ....

TT is slowly becoming VAs 'low cost alternative'.. and VA will 'influence' TT routes to satisfy its 'needs'...via cheaper cost structure!! :shock:

4. Intra

Intra Member

Dec 28, 2010
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #4 Intra, May 2, 2014
  5. Melburnian1

Melburnian1 Enthusiast

Jun 7, 2013
    Something's wrong when an airline (TT) tries routes to Alice Springs twice and fails to make them viable both times. Didn't the first pull out teach it anything?

I hope Mr Sharp is on quite a low (in aviation terms for CEOs) salary, because Tigerair must still be losing a lot. It's unsustainable for these continually loss making airlines to continue to pay their senior staff huge salaries that are in some cases 50 times what a flight attendant's base salary may be, or more. I can accept 20 times perhaps, but 40 or 50 is obscene. Pure greed. JohnK, where are you?

6. bdruce

bdruce Junior Member

You would think that with the lessons learned from the first experience they would be able to make a success of it the second go around. Kudos to them for pulling service that isn't making money.

7. drron

drron Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2002
    Sunshine Coast
    TT did seem to have a terrible reputation out of MCY.In their first life services were cancelled or overbooked.Even without asking random people I met spontaneously complained of TT.

8. lovestotravel

lovestotravel Senior Member

Sep 18, 2008
    No doubt quite a few VA customers have gone back to QF on the SYD-OOL route!

As for ASP - This is a premium destination suited to VA and QF and not JQ or TT

9. Grooba

Grooba Established Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Absolutely. Pax heading to this part of Australia are hardly super budget travelers. Quite surprising news to me that TT ever actually serviced this port.

• Like Like x 1
  10. lovestotravel

Sep 18, 2008
    Well except those doing a status run via SYD on a JASA ;) .........

11. muppet

muppet Active Member

Jun 19, 2010
    Queue the whinging from ASP locals and people travelling to ASP when QF raise its fares to ASP!

Everyone likes TT enough to want them to lower fares, but they never fly with TT.

I'm guilty of the same thing.... loved TT flying to CBR.... so I could fly VA and QF cheap.

12. Jousams

Jousams Active Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SYD
    Not happy about the cutting of 3 daily OOL-SYD flights....

13. lovestotravel

Sep 18, 2008
    Qantas - flights to Australia, New Zealand, Africa and Asia. Book airfares at qantas.com.

Never knew that VA had 11 flights a day!

Well looking forward to September they still show 11 flights per day, so is VA still taking bookings for flights they are going to cancel ? They have done this several time before so probably....

Looking at QF flights, the QF flights are generally cheaper than JQ flights...

14. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    From where I'm sitting the salary comment sounds like, more, pure speculation on your part.

15. Mwenenzi

Mwenenzi Established Member

May 17, 2006
    MEL
    In case you did not notice, the post was by Melburnian1

16. dk4

dk4 Established Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Virgin Australia Group only makes 60 cents on the dollar, when it jettisons flights to TT.
    Qantas Group makes 100 cents on the dollar, for flights it jettisons to JQ.

So there is a significant incentive for VA to remain on routes (and not punt them to Tiger), whereas the opposite is the case at QF, with Jetstar's low cost base able to bring the group a much better return on similar city pairs.

So both airline groups operate with significantly different thresholds in terms of brand deployment.

17. AdMEL

AdMEL Established Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    60% of something is still better than 100% of nothing though! I.e. If Virgin is not making any money (100% of nothing) and they think TT can (60%).

18. swanning_it

swanning_it Enthusiast

Feb 13, 2011
    Gold Coast and PNG Highlands
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    OOL lounge? Obviously still viable, but TT Pax don't have access, do they?

19. Intra

Intra Member

Dec 28, 2010
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    None.... And Thank Goodness for that!

• Like Like x 3
  20. Simo

Simo Established Member

May 22, 2011
    Sunny Coast
    I have not heard any bad stories about MCY and TT for ages.