The Skiers & Snowboarders Thread

I've long had a single pair quiver - K2 AMP Aftershocks. Bought over 10 years ago and still going strong, most recently in knee-thigh deep powder in Japan. Also fantastic at speed on European groomers. Just a fantastic ski.
I had K2 Tough Loves before my Kenjas. I never thought I would like anything more than those Tough Loves - but I love love love my Kenjas which are about 5 years old. I too only have a single pair - I honestly cannot be bothered carting 2 or more skis off on my trips. If I find that there is too much powder (is there any such thing????) I will rent some powder skis locally.

I’ve given up on Australian skiing.
Honestly I am not too far away from this myself given the experience of the last few seasons after the poor snow conditions, the horrendous crowds and massive lift lines (at Perisher) and the absolutely ridiculous mountain access problems. The Police close the road at Jindy just past the Thredbo turn off by 9.30 on most weekends, and by 1030 many week days if the snow has fallen to prevent cars from accessing the (overflowing) Perisher car park. If you do get past the Police road block, then there is a long walk in ski boots from half way back to Smiggins. Yes there are supposed to be shuttle buses, but on the two occasions this happened to us, the buses were full and shot past us without stopping. And I hate having to get up at 5.45am to beat the road block - not a morning person at all. I long for the good old days 1990-2005) when you could trundle out of Jindy at 8.00 and make a 9.00 kids ski lesson - at Blue Cow.

Use the ski tube, people say. Not very attractive at $60 per adult (return), with parking problems at Bullocks Flat and mega crowds as well. This is the crowd inside the terminal and the line outside to get inside to join this crowd the last time I used the ski tube (not in school holidays either). And yes, it was also fully crowded on the train as well.
IMG_1383.jpgIMG_1385.jpg
IMG_1386.jpg

It's much easier and cheaper to ski in Japan, on better snow.

Still, I keep turning up every year because it gives me the chance to ski with the family, and now that Seat Granddaughter is nearly 4, she will be joining us on the slopes. Strong incentive.

I bought an Epic Pass last couple of seasons but not this season. Will probably trundle up the hill for a few days when the snow is good, but the cost and hassle make it difficult to justify more than that. Europe in Jan and maybe Japan in March/April.

I might look into places I can access for some ski touring though. That would be easier in NSW than Vic, I think.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

And I hate having to get up at 5.45am to beat the road block - not a morning person at all.
Snooze you lose
Which is why I'm on the 0720 Tube from Bullocks. I leave Jindy at 0650am on Ski weekends

I continue to smile when people complain about the road block or about the full car park.

Snowcamp and hike the BC. Snow is better, no crowds, better skiing in general ;P
aus conditions are still usually decent for that as you don't have hordes of people turning piste to compressed ice.

Snowcamp and hike the BC. Snow is better, no crowds, better skiing in general ;P
aus conditions are still usually decent for that as you don't have hordes of people turning piste to compressed ice.
How would a 57 year old strong skier, reasonable but not top fitness (but I can fix that) get a start on this? Don’t want to be a rescue statistic.

How would a 57 year old strong skier, reasonable but not top fitness (but I can fix that) get a start on this? Don’t want to be a rescue statistic.
Fitness isn’t a massive issue if you aren’t in a hurry and happy to camp. There are a bunch of people who hit the Bc, often of all ages and I reckon 57 would be well in the middle of the bell curve.

Which ski area is closest to you? If it’s somewhere out of Jindabyne then they will rent you gear easily. I’ve no idea about rentals elsewhere- I live in WA else I’d take you.
If in MEL my brother would probably chat to you and could join him.

To get started otherwise would probably join Australian backcountry facebook group/s and just post that you are interested in a few day trips and be upfront about it all. Snow camping for overnights makes it a lot more adventurous but also slows the pace down as usually you hike out in the am, set up camp, ski a run, sleep then ski next day onwards until the hike home.

I orienteered in Madonna Di Campiglio a few years back: the Italy 5 days. A few of the courses were up on the ski areas, requiring us to catch the cable cars up to the starts. I remember thinking I’d like to come back to ski the slopes. However, somehow I just keep returning to Corvara each year for skiing. I love the Sellaronda. The expansive Dolomiti superski area is just fantastic.

Agree the Sellaronda area is fabulous.
Most civilised cruising available.
As well as our upcoming trip to Madonna di Campiglio (to experience a new area) we are spending our first 4 or 5 days in Badia / Val Gardena area.
Previous trips we stayed in Arabba and Colfosco. Corvara is nice but for terrain IMHO Arabba and Val Gardena areas are the pick of the 4 areas on the Sella Ronda.
In Colfosco (2019) we stayed at a very pleasant Garni Settsass where our host was an accomplished paraglider, so I took advantage of a tandem flight with him from Piz Boe to Corvara.
A bit indulgent, but I made a video of the flight ...

Those images of the skitube the last few years absolutely blow my mind! I was a concourse attendant and supervisor there in 2015 and 2016 and even on the busiest days the car park was never full and there were never lines like that!

At 31 I have effectively also given up on Australian skiing. The reward vs cost just isn't there at all anymore! And that's not even just lift ticket prices, accommodation in towns and food on the hill is a downright joke...

Visiting BC for the first time since 2019 early next year. Excited to go back to Whistler but apprehensive given what's already been discussed and lines I've seen over the post covid seasons. Will also be returning to Revelstoke and very excited about that!

Revy is better than whistler but neither held my interest for long.
Whistler has a little known/not advertised backcountry lift pass for a single run up which is way cheaper than the other tickets, it you like to hike.

Revy is better than whistler but neither held my interest for long.
Whistler has a little known/not advertised backcountry lift pass for a single run up which is way cheaper than the other tickets, it you like to hike.
Whistler is more to revisit friends and for a nostalgia hit. I've lived in both so got some close friends to catch up with. More excited for Revy for sure.

If you like to tour it's a shame Revy didn't hold your interest as the sidecountry is amongst the best 'easy access' backcountry in North America and then Rogers Pass is also right their.

Whistler is more to revisit friends and for a nostalgia hit. I've lived in both so got some close friends to catch up with. More excited for Revy for sure.

If you like to tour it's a shame Revy didn't hold your interest as the sidecountry is amongst the best 'easy access' backcountry in North America and then Rogers Pass is also right their.

I don’t love touring from lifts much. Too many people and many without the right gear/knowledge etc.

Rogers was excellent but I count that as its own place, rather than the revvy resort.

I'm a bit late to the skiing party, didn't start until I was 30ish. Many many lessons and trips to Japan and NZ and was just dreadful - could only do the easiest of green runs. Considered just giving up and trying snowboarding. Lost a big pile of weight during covid, then boom everything clicked. Can ski blacks now. Bizarre.

Have been to NZ a few times (Queenstown and Mt Hutt). Japan (Niseko). South Korea (Pyeongchang). Finland (Levi). And most recently Canada (Marble mountain at Corner Brook, Newfoundland).

Now here's a question for everyone - does anyone know of some Southern Hemisphere skiing that is reasonably priced and isn't NZ? Much easier for me to get leave in the Australian winter than summer; plus I've missed summer for a few years in a row now and I dearly miss it. And by reasonably priced I mean the lift passes / rentals etc ... happy to find weird and wonderful ways of flying there!

I'm a bit late to the skiing party, didn't start until I was 30ish. Many many lessons and trips to Japan and NZ and was just dreadful - could only do the easiest of green runs. Considered just giving up and trying snowboarding. Lost a big pile of weight during covid, then boom everything clicked. Can ski blacks now. Bizarre.

Have been to NZ a few times (Queenstown and Mt Hutt). Japan (Niseko). South Korea (Pyeongchang). Finland (Levi). And most recently Canada (Marble mountain at Corner Brook, Newfoundland).

Now here's a question for everyone - does anyone know of some Southern Hemisphere skiing that is reasonably priced and isn't NZ? Much easier for me to get leave in the Australian winter than summer; plus I've missed summer for a few years in a row now and I dearly miss it. And by reasonably priced I mean the lift passes / rentals etc ... happy to find weird and wonderful ways of flying there!

Backcountry Australia. Practically 0 cost, as long as you don’t mind camping!

Agree the Sellaronda area is fabulous.
Most civilised cruising available.
As well as our upcoming trip to Madonna di Campiglio (to experience a new area) we are spending our first 4 or 5 days in Badia / Val Gardena area.
Previous trips we stayed in Arabba and Colfosco. Corvara is nice but for terrain IMHO Arabba and Val Gardena areas are the pick of the 4 areas on the Sella Ronda.
In Colfosco (2019) we stayed at a very pleasant Garni Settsass where our host was an accomplished paraglider, so I took advantage of a tandem flight with him from Piz Boe to Corvara.
A bit indulgent, but I made a video of the flight ...
Golly that’s brave!

Arabba is terrific, I agree. Our attraction to Corvara is mainly the Hotel Col Alto, which we love. After many years of going there, it feels a bit like home.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back