The Qantas Newbie Questions Thread

'm also curious, if the $588 isn't obtainable in the first search, then isnt' the tab displayed at the top misleading
Yes it is. IIRC there is a disclaimer on the QF website when you click through saying something Kafkaesque like "the displayed price may not reflect the actual lowest price". Not sure how that refernce to a maze of QF mirrors gets them out of trouble.
 
I find it really annoying that this pops up whenever you start searching for flights.
Oh it didn't pop up automatically on the app but I clicked on "About our prices" to view it and take a screenshot:
Screenshot_20260921-155441_Qantas.png
 
Can I ask in the event of disruption, does PT/P1 has priority over Bronze in getting an earlier flight out?
Thanks
 
Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Can I ask in the event of disruption, does PT/P1 has priority over Bronze in getting an earlier flight out?

IMHO priority for rebooking when it goes pear shaped is the biggest benefit of status. Rarely happens but a life saver.
Recent data point. We are both WP. Boarded a Dash-8 home to CBR in SYD at a bus gate. After a few minutes, we were all informed that the aircraft was u/s and we needed to disembark back onto the bus and we would be advised of onward flight accommodations via the QF App. It took a fair while to get everyone off, plus the premium hand luggage so we were on the bus for probably 10-15 minutes before it moved back towards the terminal. In that time, both of us were re-booked and advised via App for a flight that was leaving in 20 mins time. I heard someone else on the bus talking to work colleagues - one of them was Gold and had a flight in 2 hrs, one was WP and was on the same flight as us and one was Silver status and had not heard anything at all.

This has been my experience over several disruptions over the year as a WP (and sometimes even as P1 back in my working years). So I am absolutely confident that disruptions are dealt with in status order, allowing for unaccompanied minors etc to probably jump the queue (as they should).
 
So that’s $1200… so when you call back ask for a breakdown of where they come up with $2400… if that’s the figure you get again. And whether that includes any refund of taxes fees and charges from the ticket you are changing.
To close the loop on this, so last night I noticed that the award flights I was after had come back into inventory again. I rung up and lucked in with an agent who was able to reprice my itinerary correctly (which involved an actual refund of some taxes and charges, in addition to the points refund I was expecting) within 20min, with the updated eticket landing in my inbox a few minutes after.

It is astonishing the variability of service and information you can get with Qantas. Imagine if I had gone ahead with what the previous agent said and had paid an extra $2400. How is the average layperson meant to discern what the correct outcome is supposed to be?

Thank you @MEL_Traveller for all the advice.
 
Recent data point. We are both WP. Boarded a Dash-8 home to CBR in SYD at a bus gate. After a few minutes, we were all informed that the aircraft was u/s and we needed to disembark back onto the bus and we would be advised of onward flight accommodations via the QF App. It took a fair while to get everyone off, plus the premium hand luggage so we were on the bus for probably 10-15 minutes before it moved back towards the terminal. In that time, both of us were re-booked and advised via App for a flight that was leaving in 20 mins time. I heard someone else on the bus talking to work colleagues - one of them was Gold and had a flight in 2 hrs, one was WP and was on the same flight as us and one was Silver status and had not heard anything at all.

This has been my experience over several disruptions over the year as a WP (and sometimes even as P1 back in my working years). So I am absolutely confident that disruptions are dealt with in status order, allowing for unaccompanied minors etc to probably jump the queue (as they should).
Can I ask in the event of disruption, does PT/P1 has priority over Bronze in getting an earlier flight out?
Thanks
Whilst not a published benefit, they do sort out those with status with better options. Also if you call up to do it yourself especially if its a complex itinerary, you'll be at the front of the queue and that means the pick of the best options. It also helps that if its long haul, you had a quick look at the options available to you.

Whether that means moved to the next available service or if you want a specific flight moved to they can try to accomodate it. I think last time I was sitting at ORD watching my LAX - SYD flight get cancelled 28h out. Called them and asked to be shifted to YVR - SYD instead. Moved immediately and all sorted fairly quickly after they confirmed there was seats still on that flight.
Allowed me to squeeze in half a day of visiting my friends in Vancouver before taking that flight.

I also had one where I shifted from QF2 to QF82 out of SIN when QF2 went tech in London. I dont think they could move everyone given one is an a380 and one is a a330 (AY). Then got a free IRROPs upgrade to premium economy as they crammed as many people over to this flight as they could.

There can also be situations you ask to move to partner (or non partner) airlines and they can sometimes oblige as well.
 

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back
Top