The end of "plus taxes and fuel surcharges"

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Mahtoh, Mar 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Mahtoh

Mahtoh Junior Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Woohoo!!! Virgin will be very pleased.

2. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    I don't think that this will be the end of "plus taxes and fuel surcharges".

QF has been displaying a final price on bookings for around 1 year now!

No one can stop them in how they calculate this final price as long as the final price only is displayed in bold on the booking. The article does not mention award seats so I still think that award seat bookings will continue to incur the ever increasing "plus taxes and fuel surcharges" in bold on the award booking.

3. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I wish we could legislate to have all operated costs included in the base price, meaning that fuel fines were forced to be incorporated in the base fare.

4. BlacKnox

BlacKnox Active Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Japan only last year legislated to make it mandatory for businesses to display final sales price incorporating consumption tax (GST lookalike). The thing was (before) some businesses were displaying tax inclusive prices; others tax exclusive.

The law creating the (now) level playing field sure makes it easier to price compare. It would be great if airlines could do the same.

5. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I'm not sure this will change anything.

Wish the ACCC/Federal Government would actually do something about the surcharges situation.

6. Mahtoh

Mahtoh Junior Member

Feb 22, 2006
    I do not know how much clearer I can make it. :shock:

7. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    I actually thought it was a very clear announcement.

"plus taxes and fuel surcharges" are here to stay so get used to it.

QF can quote you $1000 return for SYD-SIN and they don't need to tell how this airfare is made up. To redeem a return economy award SYD-SIN will be 60,000 points + $750 taxes and fuel surcharges.

ACCC, Department of Fair Trading or the Goverment cannot do anything about this. They are abiding by the rules setout. Clear and effective airfares and you don't have to do any calculating. They do it for you!