Taxi cost at MEL

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Chucksta, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Chucksta

Chucksta Active Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Australia
    Thinking about flying from PER to MEL for the day to attend the avalon airshow (20-25 march 2007).

How much will a taxi cost from MEL airport (QF domestic) to Avalon airport?
    How long will it take?

I know JQ fly to avalon but the flight does not arrive early enough.

thanks

Chucksta

2. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    It would probably be cheaper to hire a car for the day rather than use taxis each way. And getting a tax back from AVV at the end of the day may not be an easy task.

Also note that you take the bus to the city and then a train out to AVV. There will be shuttle buses from the nearest station (can't remember its name).

Taxi cost will be unpredictable. Some years the traffic on the Princes Highway around AVV has been a major nightmare, so you could be stuck for 30 mins or more with the meter clicking over faster than the odometer. If traffic is clear, I would guess you are looking at $80 each way at best. According to Whereis.com, its 65km and 43 mins to drive from MEL to AVV.

3. tuapekastar

tuapekastar Established Member

Mar 16, 2005
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I haven't been to the airshow, but have heard some horror traffic stories from some who have. As NM posted, a train from Southern Cross (formerly Spencer St) station to Lara would probably be be the better alternative, time permitting.

Refer the AVV airshow website for a few more details.