SYD to Rio de Janeiro - How many points do I need on AAdvantage | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

SYD to Rio de Janeiro - How many points do I need on AAdvantage

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtlockie

Newbie
Joined
Oct 11, 2006
Messages
6
Hello

Can anyone tell me how many points I would need to redeem on AAdvantage to fly from Sydney to Rio.

Would it be South Pacific - South America (Zone 2) 75,000 miles economy? Or would I have to add on another South America (Zone 2) - South America (Zone 2) 25,000 miles on making a total of 100,000 to fly economy.

I'd just like to say thanks to everyone for all the information on Platinum Challenge on here - I've just registered.

Thanks
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
If you want to fly from SYD-GIG, then it is just the 75k points for a r/t ticket in economy or 100k in business class.

When calculating the miles it doesn't matter where in the the zones that you start or finish, the points are the same, so if you were in Perth, it would still be 75k to get from PER-GIG

Dave
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,810
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Dave Noble said:
If you want to fly from SYD-GIG, then it is just the 75k points for a r/t ticket in economy or 100k in business class.

When calculating the miles it doesn't matter where in the the zones that you start or finish, the points are the same, so if you were in Perth, it would still be 75k to get from PER-GIG

Dave
However, if you want a stopover at some other point other than the turn-around point (GIG in your example) the calculations change. Then it is sometimes best to use the mileage-based OneWorld award which allows up to 5 stopovers for the itinerary.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
NM said:
However, if you want a stopover at some other point other than the turn-around point (GIG in your example) the calculations change. Then it is sometimes best to use the mileage-based OneWorld award which allows up to 5 stopovers for the itinerary.
Indeed, if stopovers en-route are desired, then a OW award may well be the way to go. I didnt think that AA OW awards were limited to 5 stops

Dave
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,810
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Dave Noble said:
Indeed, if stopovers en-route are desired, then a OW award may well be the way to go. I didnt think that AA OW awards were limited to 5 stops

Dave
I know the specific rules do vary between airlines that offer OneWorld awards, but I did think both AA and QF had a limit of 5 stopovers on OneWorld awards - but I could be wrong there as I have only every redeemed for the QF OneWorld Award.

Without a limit to the number of stopovers, one could make a crazy itinerary based on AA's way of calculating distance as being the direct distance between stopover points and using lots of <24 hour transits between stopovers. Though eventually the sector count will be the limiting factor.
 

mtlockie

Newbie
Joined
Oct 11, 2006
Messages
6
NM said:
However, if you want a stopover at some other point other than the turn-around point (GIG in your example) the calculations change. Then it is sometimes best to use the mileage-based OneWorld award which allows up to 5 stopovers for the itinerary.
Great - thanks for all the replies guys. AAdvantage is much more generous for this routing than Qantas FF (which requires 136,000 miles economy)


Can anyone tell me where I can go for more information on OneWorld awards? How do they differ from redeeming miles through AAdvantage?
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
NM said:
Without a limit to the number of stopovers, one could make a crazy itinerary based on AA's way of calculating distance as being the direct distance between stopover points and using lots of <24 hour transits between stopovers. Though eventually the sector count will be the limiting factor.
Arent the oneworld awards based on miles flown for the RTW trips? I thought of trying to get mrssim on a RTW with me next year - but thought it would be too many miles.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
NM said:
I know the specific rules do vary between airlines that offer OneWorld awards, but I did think both AA and QF had a limit of 5 stopovers on OneWorld awards - but I could be wrong there as I have only every redeemed for the QF OneWorld Award.

Without a limit to the number of stopovers, one could make a crazy itinerary based on AA's way of calculating distance as being the direct distance between stopover points and using lots of <24 hour transits between stopovers. Though eventually the sector count will be the limiting factor.
I don't know whether it is the case here, but in general alliance awards have different rules with each FFP.

And yes, some FTers have indeed done some really crazy award itineraries thanks to AA's generous rules. Check out FT's OW forum for some examples.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
simongr said:
Arent the oneworld awards based on miles flown for the RTW trips? I thought of trying to get mrssim on a RTW with me next year - but thought it would be too many miles.
Kind of but calculated differently on different FFPs. On QFF all flights count (where separate "coupon") whereas on AA it is most direct distance between stopovers (note that if no partner airline flies directly between 2 points the calculation may become more complex). I don't know how the other OW FFPs calculate it.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,810
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
mtlockie said:
Great - thanks for all the replies guys. AAdvantage is much more generous for this routing than Qantas FF (which requires 136,000 miles economy)


Can anyone tell me where I can go for more information on OneWorld awards? How do they differ from redeeming miles through AAdvantage?
Have a look at the aa.com web site at this link (get there from the home page by selecting AAdvantage/Program Details, Awards, All Airline Award Chart, View complete oneworld award details and information (Link in paragraph called OneWorld Awards near the bottom of the page).

And it does not state any limit on the number of stopovers.

Note that even though this is called a OneWorld Award, and most OneWorld airlines have an award with the same name, it is really an AA award that is redeemed for flights operated by two ore more OneWorld airlines (in addition to AA, though AA is not required in the itinerary). Each OneWorld airline has their own award for this type of itinerary and they all have their own rules. It is not a OneWorld Product or Offering.
 

mtlockie

Newbie
Joined
Oct 11, 2006
Messages
6
Does anyone know how easy it is to redeem AAdavantage miles for LAN Chile to South America? I'm thinking that as they have the SYD - Santiago route to themselves it may be hard to get FF tickets. Anyone have any ideas?

Muchos gracias
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,810
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Not too bad in economy so long as you are flexible. But difficult to get availability in business class and almost impossible in first class (they only have 5 F seats on the flight).

This is a strange route since its the only exception to the QF rule that FF awards must be on the operating carrier's flight code. So QF awards come out of the QF codeshare inventory, while AA and other OneWorld partners award tickets will come from the LA flight number award availability. So in this specific case, QF and AA will have different availability for awards on the same flight.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
mtlockie said:
Does anyone know how easy it is to redeem AAdavantage miles for LAN Chile to South America? I'm thinking that as they have the SYD - Santiago route to themselves it may be hard to get FF tickets. Anyone have any ideas?

Muchos gracias
AAdvantage may allow routings via LAX, DFW, MIA or JFK.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you’re new to the world of frequent flyer points – or moving to a new country – it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the con ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and ...
  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...

Community Statistics

Threads
82,443
Messages
1,909,201
Members
50,228
Latest member
thebaldman27
Top