Switching to the Singapore Airlines Westpac cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisFlyer

Established Member
Has anybody managed to switch from another Westpac card over to the Singapore Airlines Platinum cards since they were closed off for general application?

Currently have Earth Black (also not available to new customers) but am leaning much more towards earning SQ miles these days than QF points... thought about switching to Altitude Black (to convert points to SQ) which it seems I can do via Westpac online banking, but as of July 1, the Altitude Black AMEX will only give 1/$1 with SQ and the Mastercard will only give 0.5/$1.

Given that I also have an AMEX Explorer which gives 1.5/$1 with SQ (50% more than Westpac's Altitude Black AMEX) and could earn ~0.66 SQ/$1 via the $89/year Coles Rewards Mastercard (earn 2 Flybuys points per $1, convert them to Velocity at a 2:1 rate when there's a 15% bonus on and it basically earns 1 Velocity point per $1, then convert from Velocity to SQ at a 1.35:1 rate, giving the equivalent of 0.66 SQ/$1), I'm stuggling to see any point in Altitude Black at all, especially with a $395 annual fee, no more bonus points on Mastercard overseas spend and lower KrisFlyer earn rates than I'd get by using other cards.

As Westpac is still giving 1.5/$1 on international Visa spend via its actual KrisFlyer cards and 1.25/$1 on all AMEX spend (useful to have as a backup incase Explorer isn't working or something), I could probably justify paying the $250 annual fee as I go overseas a fair bit, but paying more than that for a card that earns less (Altitude Black) would see me cancelling my WBC card, which I'd rather not do if there are other options!

Has anybody managed to switch from another Westpac card over to the Singapore Airlines Platinum cards since they were closed off for general application?

I have never tried this, but I would be very surprised if it was possible. I agree that the Altitude Black cards are not worth having anymore - I just cancelled mine. However, as I mentioned on another thread, despite having held Westpac Altitude credit cards for ~10 years, and often putting through >$10k per month on them, they made no effort whatsoever to retain me - they didn't even ask why I wanted to cancel. That suggests to me that they are not really fussed about keeping people on these cards, so I'd be surprised if they went out of their way to offer you a higher earning card that's no longer available to new customers.

Despite having held Westpac Altitude credit cards for ~10 years, and often putting through >$10k per month on them, they made no effort whatsoever to retain me - they didn't even ask why I wanted to cancel. That suggests to me that they are not really fussed about keeping people on these cards, so I'd be surprised if they went out of their way to offer you a higher earning card that's no longer available to new customers.

That's unfortunate - sounds almost identical to my situation except that I haven't tried to cancel. Out of interest, did you call to cancel during business hours or out of hours? Westpac seems to have a dedicated retentions team that can make special offers (have called about cancelling my card in previous years and have been offered 50% off annual fee before after the first operator put me through to somebody else), so am curious if you spoke to one of these people or just the first person to answer the phone.

That's unfortunate - sounds almost identical to my situation except that I haven't tried to cancel. Out of interest, did you call to cancel during business hours or out of hours? Westpac seems to have a dedicated retentions team that can make special offers (have called about cancelling my card in previous years and have been offered 50% off annual fee before after the first operator put me through to somebody else), so am curious if you spoke to one of these people or just the first person to answer the phone.

It was during business hours, and I was transferred to the "retentions department", but they clearly didn't have any desire to stop me leaving. I have cancelled a lot of cards in my time - and threatened to cancel some just to get a better deal - but I can never recall a request to cancel being accepted without question before now. Someone else (VicBitter) on the other thread reported a similar experience. http://www.australianfrequentflyer....stpac-reduces-points-credit-card-82583-2.html

My guess is that Westpac has decided that it's not worth retaining people determined to earn a lot of points. The devaluation would weed out most of those customers, just leaving the less savvy (and likely more profitable) to continue with these cards.

My guess is that Westpac has decided that it's not worth retaining people determined to earn a lot of points. The devaluation would weed out most of those customers, just leaving the less savvy (and likely more profitable) to continue with these cards.

Must be the same approach that CBA is taking... called up to cancel my card the other week, they said "sure", and just as they'd finished cancelling it they asked for feedback as to why. Told them an FF earn rate of 0.25/$1 via American Express is "pathetic" - no offer of bonus points or increased earn rate was forthcoming. When I called to cancel last year they offered to waive the annual fee and provide 20k bonus CBA points for me to keep the card (which I accepted at the time), so it seems the banks are changing their approach!)

It looks like whoever still kept the Westpac Kris Flyer card (Platinum) is on a winner, as the AMEX spend is $1 for 1.25 Kris Flyer points, and the Visa spend on international purchases is still $1 for 1.5 Kris Flyer points. However, the local Visa spend is still poor at $1 for only 0.5 Kris Flyer points.

Yes I have Amex Platinum Edge, Westpac Platinum Kris Flyer Amex and Amex Ultimate. The suggested idea of a switch in Westpac credit cards is not possible based on what I have heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back