Sweden and Tanzania 23/24

The next day we were back to Tarangire for a full day’s game drive. As we were staying fairly close it was fairly quiet when we arrived at the park. The park is divided by the Tarangire river. The only crossing at present is a weir, although a new bridge is currently under construction. Yesterday the river was too high to cross and with overnight rain it remained so today, leaving us confined to the west of the park. A shame, but it still left most of the park to explore. And early on we were lucky enough to spot lions. Better yet, we were the first vehicle to spot them. It’s standard on Tanzanian safaris that all the guides share information of what they have spotted, either by stopping for a quick chat, or more commonly on the radio. This of course benefits everyone as it increases the likelihood you will see the big game. The downside of course is that there is often a crowd of vehicles around the popular animals, like the big cats. So being first gives extra quiet time with them. With lions this is not usually such a big deal, as in many respects they are just very big domestic cats, and are often found asleep. All day long. But this pride, although initially some distance away, decided to pay us a visit and ambled on over to our vehicle. One dared us to scratch the belly:

View attachment 370948

Another on the hunt:

View attachment 370950

Look at my big toothy-pegs

View attachment 370951
View attachment 370952

I could post photos of lions all day, but we also saw other cool creatures like mongoose:View attachment 370953
And lots and lots of birds

View attachment 370956

View attachment 370957

And back at our lodge a lovely dinner:

View attachment 370959

Brilliant photos 🦁📸🍾🥂

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Thanks! Still working through them all for a photobook. So many photos...
My +1 took I reckon 10K photos (possibly a slight exaggeration) on our Rwanda / Tanzania safaris last October...9 months later she still hasn't sorted, edited them etc...I guess one day they will make a good coffee table book.

As a side note we are going to Namibia, Botswana and Vic Falls next month so there will be even more unsorted photos. :(

My +1 took I reckon 10K photos (possibly a slight exaggeration) on our Rwanda / Tanzania safaris last October...9 months later she still hasn't sorted, edited them etc...I guess one day they will make a good coffee table book.

As a side note we are going to Namibia, Botswana and Vic Falls next month so there will be even more unsorted photos. :(
But a great trip awaits! I hope you'll do a trip report.

Looking forward to that TR 🥂

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back