Suggest me a Shiraz budget around $150

Discussion in 'General Wine Discussion' started by mooingchicken, Apr 16, 2018 at 10:25 PM.

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
(Click HERE for a welcome message from our founder.)

Our site contains tons of information that is guaranteed to improve your travel experience. Be it tips on how to fly in First/Business at a reduced cost, smart ways to earn more points, the best way to use your points, cheap deals, hand-picked hotel recommendations, detailed trip reports.

We hope you find the information useful and decide to join our online community.

Joining AFF is fast, simple and ABSOLUTELY FREE - so why not join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear freeing up more space on your screen!
And you will see fewer advertisements :)

1. mooingchicken

mooingchicken Member

Jul 22, 2013
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    So I am graduating uni this Friday and I want to get a nice bottle to celebrate for dinner that night.
    I was looking at possibly a Torbreck either the factor or descendant or a Penfold's St Henri or possibly stretch to a RWT.... I have had some of the 'cheaper' torbreck before and liked them.

One of my go to budget bottles is a st john's road blood and courage to give you an idea of what I like to drink
    Registered Users don't see this and have the option of removing all other advertisements.  Register HERE

Anyone have any suggestions in favour of anything I have listed or have any other suggestions? Obviously need to be able to get it delivered or go in store to buy it so nothing to hard to track down. (Im in brisbane if that makes any difference).

2. Captain Halliday

Captain Halliday Established Member

Jun 1, 2014
    DRW
    Firstly, congratulations. That’s a great achievement.

I’m a fan of Henschke Mount Edlestone Shiraz. Look for even numbered vintages. 10 was the best recently IIRC. Should be around $140, cheaper with the usual discounts.

My other suggestion is the Glaetzer Amon Ra. It’s a little cheaper, around 115, minus discounts.

Both outclass St Henri IMHO.

YMMV.

3. moa999

moa999 Senior Member

Jun 23, 2003
    Sydney
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Echo Glaetzer Amon Ra as a fantastic drop, mostly stocked by the specialty chains

4. AnonymousCoward

AnonymousCoward Established Member

Dec 5, 2005
    Sydney, Singapore
    For that budget, you have lots of options...
    - Standish (any)
    - Mollydooker Carnival of Love
    - Elderton Command
    - Kaesler have a few options
    - Yalumba Octavius

I'd say the Torbreck's and Elderton's are probably the easiest to obtain

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. juddles

juddles Established Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Sth America
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    A potential other suggestion is the following:

Instead of just graduating from uni (excellent BTW :) ) maybe leap forward in other Life wisdom. Don't spend 150 on a bottle. Grab a perfectly decent shiraz from Dan Murphys. better still grab four. And use the remaining balance to buy an inscribed Zippo lighter that celebrates your achievement. You will have that Zippo forever :)

6. mooingchicken

mooingchicken Member

Jul 22, 2013
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will have a look ad pick one up tonight!

I dont smoke :p. And most presents for me seem to find there way into the back of a cupboard and not seen again. I more value experience's and sharing things with people. $150 while isn't a small amount it isn't an extravagant amount for me (I have worked full time in my field while doing my degree). So its not me scraping money together but I also didn't want to spend a stupid amount on say a grange or such either as I dont earn that much :p.

• Like Like x 2
  7. drron

drron Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2002
    Sunshine Coast
    Whilst there are good $150 reds out there a lot of just as good reds cost a lot less.
    If you love good reds then do as I have done.join a wineries wine club.I just have Petaluma and Tahbilk now-the last because I really love big Victorian reds.You will get some really nice reds to put away for not that much + a discount.They are free to join.
    Just to make some jealous as a foundation of Petaluma I recently got a free magnum of a 1992 Coonawarra red as I spent the required $600.It probably is worth nearly that much.
    PS when I passed my Fellowship clinicals myself and 2 others with our wives drank 6 bottles of Hill Of Grace.But then it was sub $20.The year was 1974.

8. sjk

sjk Junior Member

Mar 9, 2018
    You could get a bottle of Clonakilla Shiraz Viognier and have money left over. That's my go-to for fancy dinners.

• Like Like x 1