Strategy to obtain US Amex

For paying with points see the 2nd screenshot - at present you'll need to redwme at 1c/pt, but then they'll automatically increase to 1.5c/pt for purchases made at Go Pass - hopefully is going to be automatic in the future. When I looked at rates through their provider for a couple of hotels they looked pretty much the same as the hotel itself. A lot show as non-refundable, but if you click on show more then refundable rates show up, it's just a bit slow (and as I say yet to see what happens re triggering the travel spend credit).

Unrelated to this provider change the travel earnings rate did reduce recently but hotels, car rentals and flights are still 5x, it's all other travel (trains is the one I mainly noticed) that have been cut to 2x.
Interesting if so - I was disappoitned when i saw only 1c. The terms and conditions actually now say 1.25c. But i've just redeemed points for a test booking so will see if they adjust. (At the moment they took 29k points for a $290 credit)

How did you find this out?

As for 5x - correct - but many are failing to pay 5x - eg Virgin Australia, Virgin Atlantic, all Accor hotels. They fall under an excluded MCC!
 
It's select hotels, car rentals and flights, lots of data points of them not paying 5x anymore and there is no disclosure on what the select services are.
Interesting, I've not had any not give me 5x yet. Do you have any links where the DPs are discussed? I've found this card isn't discussed that much online!
How did you find this out?
There was a vague email from HSBC about it that I ignored, saw it then when I logged in and went to spend more for my $400 annual travel credit.
 

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back
Top