Status
Not open for further replies.

neljelpoo

Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
Hi all,

Maybe a stupid question but a lot of people store credit cards on the back of their phones and I wonder how the transaction machines differentiate between the phone (whether google or apple pay) making the payment or whether it is the cards stored in the back?

Maybe someone can elaborate or explain? Thanks heaps 😄

Do you mean physical storage (i.e. the actual plastic card) or electronic (digital) storage?

If the former, I too have wondered about this.

I just assumed they're physically taking the card out when it comes time to tap. If not, you'd need only one card and need to either disable NFC on your phone or not have any cards registered in your e-wallet.

Hi all,

Maybe a stupid question but a lot of people store credit cards on the back of their phones and I wonder how the transaction machines differentiate between the phone (whether google or apple pay) making the payment or whether it is the cards stored in the back?

Maybe someone can elaborate or explain? Thanks heaps 😄

They don't differentiate. It would be the same as putting two credit cards onto a Paypass terminal. It might work, might not, and you'd have to guess which one would be successful until it showed on the terminal.

I do this all the time. I have a Visa for Paywave stored in the back of my phone and use Apple Pay on my Amex Plat Charge for most transactions.
The EFTPOS machine only recognizes the Apple Pay when I bring my phone to it. The visa isn’t close enough to trigger pay wave.

I do this all the time. I have a Visa for Paywave stored in the back of my phone and use Apple Pay on my Amex Plat Charge for most transactions.
The EFTPOS machine only recognizes the Apple Pay when I bring my phone to it. The visa isn’t close enough to trigger pay wave.

This is where I was getting at! Thanks 😄

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back