Status Matches for Qantas Frequent Flyers

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by missafternoondelight, May 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. missafternoondelight

Mar 30, 2011
    Hi All,

I've seen a couple of threads on this, but none that are current (might be searching using the wrong terms).

A lot of us are considering our options, post-'Simplification Day', with other carriers. Does anyone know of any current status match offers or any carriers who grant status matches on a case-by-case basis?

QF is offering me less and less value as a PER flyer, and now points are being progressively devalued, while ways to keep status are becoming more expensive, it is time to seriously consider the alternatives.
    CX comes to mind first, followed by MH (provided they are still in business, post-MH370), SQ, QR, and then AA. I'd even be interested in AY, though I've never heard of a status match there..

Has anyone tried asking for a match lately?

2. gbetox

gbetox Member

Jul 31, 2010
    CBR
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    • Like Like x 1
  3. zainman

zainman Established Member

Jan 31, 2012
    MEL & KHI
    I've had my QF WP status matched to QR, TK, AF/KLM, EY, CX. You have plenty of choice!

• Like Like x 2
  4. cooke

cooke Junior Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    If I was VA I'd be offering status matches to anyone who wants it in WA.

There's a lot to gain.

Domestically they've got a brand new terminal and lounge (the very first terminal and lounge VA has had a hand in designing from the ground up).

Internationally they've got good SQ frequencies & services, Etihad coming to town soon and Air NZ 787s.

• Like Like x 1
  5. lovestotravel

lovestotravel Senior Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Except for the fact that you actually have to fly VA

Domestically they have nice looking lounges with poor food, along with sub-par onboard service/food/drinks/staff along with lounges in only a tiny number of locations when compared with QF

Internationally they have a mis-match of benefits across various airlines which is confusing at best

If you want to use VA points to fly SQ forget it

• Like Like x 4
  6. raleyoz

raleyoz Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Adelaide
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Interested in the cx status match, how would you suggest approaching this option?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Established Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Apparently you need to request the match via this email address: theclub@cathaypacific.com. I guess a travel statement would be required and maybe a scan of your FF card.

8. cooke

cooke Junior Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map

The QF PER lounge is pretty crap, no better than the current VA lounge. QF also has massively inconsistent products out of Perth.

And if you're living in Perth SQ is your best non-gulf carrier option.

• Like Like x 1
  9. biba

biba Intern

May 20, 2006
    Sydney
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Anyone had status match with BAEC? Thinking seriously.

10. BD1959

BD1959 Established Member

May 11, 2011
    MEL
    When the "simplicity" first broke, I'd just about retained QF WP and was looking at VA to build alternative status - they may be the poor cousin of QF, but if you believe the QF CEO they'll be around long after QFi have fallen by the wayside - requested Status Match with VA who flatly refused.

So, I'm "doing the hard yards" in the General Boarding queue and missing out on their "terrible lounges" (they can't be as bad as the VA SYD Terminal's public areas!!)

Regards,

BD

11. Himeno

Himeno Established Member

Jun 15, 2011
    For other oneworld members,

AA has said to talk to them and will likely offer the match via a challenge.
    AY has said no to any status match.
    BA won't accept members based in South West Pacific.
    CX wants forward CX bookings and copies of QF points/SC statement.
    MH, JL and QR never replied.
    Didn't ask the others.

• Like Like x 1
  12. marki

marki Established Member

Feb 11, 2010
    On this World- Mostly
    Facebook:
    Anybody manage status Match with Lufthansa?

13. lovestotravel

lovestotravel Senior Member

Sep 18, 2008
    The PER QP has been ok on my visits, and still more/better food than in the VA lounge, luckily I have managed to miss the fluro vests though.

My flights have been on A333's in J so they have been great, but yes the mis-match of products is very poor for QF but that will be fixed in 2 years........

Yes SQ is a great airline but using VA points to fly SQ is not even worth considering!

14. QPProletarian

QPProletarian Member

Nov 12, 2012
    LHR/BNE/MEL
    LHR based for at least a year or two now. Given the recent changes (which I still don't fully understand - why oh why couldn't they have just used EQM multipliers instead??) I need to start looking into new programs.

15. 777

777 Established Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Airberlin will usually offer status for 4 months as part of a challenge. Their status gets lounge access on both VA or QF. Great if transitioning from one to the other.

I can't confirm if they offer matches to other OWE but It'd be worth a shot.

16. Colster

Colster Member

Jul 31, 2013
    Syd
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Seriously, if I got an sq status match at the moment, I would be booking nothing but Star Alliance for the foreseeable future. Anyone have an email to send to?

• Like Like x 1
  17. QPProletarian

QPProletarian Member

Nov 12, 2012
    LHR/BNE/MEL
    Starting to look at other programs instead.

I've done 50 segments and 100,000 miles this year.

BA seems quite similar to the pre 1July14 changes to QF, with QF earning similar to that of BA on QFF. Emerald is harder to attain than pre 1Jul changes
    AB does get VA lounge access and status recognition but does not earn SCs on VA flights. Emerald is hard to attain if flying QF due to the multiplier. Uses EQM.