St. Maarten 747 landing and MD-83 takeoff

Discussion in 'Trip Reports and Trip Photos' started by MiLK_MaN, May 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. MiLK_MaN

MiLK_MaN Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Gold Coast
    Here in St. Maarten for a few days, and had to go to the Sunset Bar to watch all the planes land at the airport.

Managed to get these 2 cool videos (apologise for the swearing!):

[video=youtube;t7ufwbt3VjQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7ufwbt3VjQ[/video]

Definitely a really cool experience and recommend it to any travel enthusiast, if you dare! :)

• Like Like x 8

2. MiLK_MaN

MiLK_MaN Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Gold Coast
    [video=youtube;R1FdPphlUe8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1FdPphlUe8[/video]

• Like Like x 3
  3. Amazing, we were there March last year but missed the 747, saw some others though.

4. Mark3000

Mark3000 Active Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Spectacular!! I love the Caribbean and St Maarten is definitely on my to do list. Even more so now, thanks for sharing those videos!!!!

5. docjames

docjames Senior Member

Jul 10, 2007
    On the highway
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Language warning on that first video!

Thanks for sharing.

How much we're you buffeted around under the 747 / behind the md80?

6. ABC1

ABC1 Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Fantastic... I'm thinking of going next year to combine a trip with the Masters/then route 66.. Where did you stay? I've looked at hotels and not many float my boat.

7. MiLK_MaN

MiLK_MaN Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Gold Coast
    The arrival of the 747 was ok, there was only a tiny noticeable difference in wind when it landed. The take-off of the 747 was also a bit uninspiring because they had a rolling takeoff from the taxi and therefore we didn't really notice anything.

The MD80 on the other hand was outrageous. Basically needed to close my mouth to ensure I didn't get bits of dirt and sand fly in it from the blast. Definitely an awesome experience and we are looking to kill a few hours tomorrow waiting for our flight so we might do it again.

Booked fairly late (ie. less than a week out) via expedia. Stayed two nights at the Oyster Bay Resort which is definitely an ageing hotel, clean with biggish rooms but things like mold on the curtains etc. are a little offputting. The 3rd night we stayed at the Radisson which is definitely more upmarket, and so with it comes the price tag. Everything on the French side is priced in Euros so you know it's going to cost a ton more...

• Like Like x 2
  8. jetlagger

jetlagger Established Member

Great footage!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Must experience it someday.. :D

9. JohnM

JohnM Senior Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Perth
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
  10. TomVexille

TomVexille Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2013
    Melbourne
    Awesome videos, loved the guy in the 747 landing "ooh that's a biggie". Definitely want to go someday. Thanks for sharing.