St George Amplify Signature - up to 200,000 Amplify points (PointHacks) | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

St George Amplify Signature - up to 200,000 Amplify points (PointHacks)

jinks485

Point Hacks have an exclusive deal for 200,000 bonus Amplify points with the St George Amplify Signature card.

The bonus is spread out over two years. You get 100k points when you spend $12k in the first year and the same again in the second year.

The first year annual fee is $0 and in the second it's the regular $279.

This is a great deal if you're OK with holding the card for longer.

Ends 6 March.

St.George Amplify Signature Visa Amplify Rewards - Point Hacks Review

Dr Ralph

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
I hate this emerging trend of making you hold the card for greater than 12 months to get the maximum bonus available.

Just remember that 200,000 Amplify points only equals 100,000 Velocity points. And you'll need to pay the annual fee to get the full bonus. So $279 for 100,000 Velocity points is really wants being offered here. When you'll get all of those points awarded to your account isn't clear. But it will definitely be more than 12 months before you see the 200,000.

Biggest problem I see is being locked in to this card for such an extended period of time. In the same amount of time I could easily have churned 500,000 worth of Velocity points by using other cards.

I hope that this is not a popular offer as I do not want to see a trend of these long term deals being the norm.

Last edited:

lilkid28

It's a pretty good offer for someone getting this card and intending to keep it for the long term, especially for those keen on KF redemptions, assuming that earn rates and the conversion rate to KF doesn't change.

cove

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
I love this Amplify card and have no plans to move to another CC.

Oliver Brown

PointHacks has really morphed into the CreditCard/Amex Advert site recently I feel.
Much better here.

Dr Ralph

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
It's a pretty good offer for someone getting this card and intending to keep it for the long term, especially for those keen on KF redemptions, assuming that earn rates and the conversion rate to KF doesn't change.
Based on other recent offerings from St George, I can't agree.

I realise it's for QFF points, but surely this is a much better deal:

StGeorge Amplify Signature - 80,000 QFF bonus points for $0 fee

This current offering would have to be the only one that was available for me to consider it.

Last edited:

goldenhorn

PointHacks has really morphed into the CreditCard/Amex Advert site recently I feel.
Much better here.
Yeah they are retargeting me and I see their card offers all over the web now. I know they need to make an income from the affiliate sales, but I think they are prioritizing card promotions over creating great content.

maccaisking

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I hate to say this, but given the amount of offers being run by St George/BoM/BankSA over the past 12 months, along with other card providers changes during this time, an enhancement seems it may be imminent for these cards

Saltywings

Flights
My Map
I hate this emerging trend of making you hold the card for greater than 12 months to get the maximum bonus available.
I think CC companies are finally trying to actually ensure your 'loyalty', which some AFFers have previous complained about (in an ironic sense only) that if CC companies want loyalty they need to incentivise it. Ergo, deals like these (something Citibank's started doing some time ago).

Agree that it's annoying, but I absolutely see why it might be good sense for it to happen.

NoName

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Agree with a lot of the sentiments here. This is not an offer for 200k pts, it’s an offer for 100k pts. I have no interest in holding credit cards for long periods.

theblank

Established Member
AFF Supporter
The gig is up!
credit card companies have obviously hated this emerging trend of people signing up for new cards just to get the bonuses and then cancelling them before 12 months.

$279 for 50K velocity points is a good deal - I value them personally at $500 (and 2 x Priority Pass) I wish I had of got this offer. I just signed up a month ago.

Dr Ralph

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
The gig is up!
Highly unlikely.

But, as usual the game changes.

This is a great deal if you're OK with holding the card for longer.
$279 for 50K velocity points is a good deal .
Everyone is of course free to make their own evaluation of the deal and decide whether or not to take it up, but it's a crap deal in my view. So many much more rewarding offers have been available. In fact I think this is close to the worst value for 50K that I recall in the last 12 months.

Last edited:

cvmceg

The gig is up!
credit card companies have obviously hated this emerging trend of people signing up for new cards just to get the bonuses and then cancelling them before 12 months.

$279 for 50K velocity points is a good deal - I value them personally at $500 (and 2 x Priority Pass) I wish I had of got this offer. I just signed up a month ago.
If you signed up a month ago doesn't that mean you got 50k Velocity for no fee? Surely that's better

theblank

Established Member
AFF Supporter
If you signed up a month ago doesn't that mean you got 50k Velocity for no fee? Surely that's better
100,000 VFF for $279 is better than 50,000 VFF for $0

tell me where you can buy 50k VFF points for ~ 0.6c a point, and I am on it!

cvmceg

100,000 VFF for $279 is better than 50,000 VFF for $0

tell me where you can buy 50k VFF points for ~ 0.6c a point, and I am on it!
Hmm, understood. Although, the equation isn't quite that simple:

Previous offer: 50k Velocity for $0 fee and only $4000 spend.

This offer: 50k Velocity for $0 fee after $12,000 spend and then 50k Velocity for $279 after you have spent another $12,000 a year down the track

There is quite the wait for that extra 50k velocity (and a lot more spend!). A wait that may include a devaluation!!

burmans

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
It is kind of an obvious response though, churning is now more attractive than holding. So they need to do something to try and get people to hold, and while clearly not attractive to us, not everyone wants the hassle of churning.

Scr77

AFF Supporter
I hate to say this, but given the amount of offers being run by St George/BoM/BankSA over the past 12 months, along with other card providers changes during this time, an enhancement seems it may be imminent for these cards
This has crossed my mind recently too. I hope we are wrong.

cove

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
I haven’t needed to transfer any Amplify points over to Kris Flyer just yet. We loved 1A and 2A in the SQ New Suites and we still enjoy the 12 Suite version too.
This card is tons of fun and for us is worth it.

theblank

Established Member
AFF Supporter
There is quite the wait for that extra 50k velocity (and a lot more spend!). A wait that may include a devaluation!!
well if someone cant wait, and someone qualify then its not a deal for some. doesnt make it a bad deal, the ROI is the same

AFF on Air Podcast

• “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...
  • Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York - a feat it aims to achi ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astocker22