SQ231 prang | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

SQ231 prang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quickstatus

AFF Supporter
Interesting to see the SQ231 prang involving No 2 engine. Looks like the cowling needs replacing.

I cant imagine its the pilots fault - would the fault lie with the ground crew who direct the aircraft/

Also only 285 pax half full

ftm

Imagine if that was QF.... Would have been quite a different reaction.

Shan Man

Imagine if that was QF.... Would have been quite a different reaction.

Something Something offshore maintenaince, something something cost cutting something something qantas putting lives in danger.

Quickstatus

AFF Supporter
Something Something offshore maintenaince, something something cost cutting something something qantas putting lives in danger.
Xenophon would have been first off the mark quicker than you can drop a hot potato

Buzzard

AFF Supporter
She'll be right mate. I'm sure it will make it back to Singapore.

Cruiser Elite

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I would suggest that if a 380 was gonna be in a bingle that's as good a place as any to have it!

flying_double

I cant imagine its the pilots fault - would the fault lie with the ground crew who direct the aircraft
Of course not! He was only in control of the aircraft... Perhaps the ground crew wasn't in attendance and he decided to park it without the benefit of the guidance system :shock:

vantage03

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Not a flash start to the day !!
Tell me about it, I was on this flight today.

We had a sudden stop, but the crew hopelessly made no announcements, we were just told to wait in our seats - with no more communication for over an hour. Even the crew remained seated for most of the time.

I was in Suites (luckily), and the crew told me that we were waiting for quarantine officers to attend to a sick passenger in economy...

I only found out about the incident from news.com.au. Thanks SQ!
#neardeathexperience

N860CR

AFF Supporter
Of course not! He was only in control of the aircraft... Perhaps the ground crew wasn't in attendance and he decided to park it without the benefit of the guidance system :shock:
I don't think you quite understand how parking an enormous airliner works.

Sounds like it was poorly handled by the crew post incident.

flying_double

I don't think you quite understand how parking an enormous airliner works.

Sounds like it was poorly handled by the crew post incident.
To be quite blunt, you have no idea what I do or don't know. Do you know how a nose in guidance system works? I do.

N860CR

AFF Supporter
Certainly do... Use them on a daily basis.

It's inappropriate to make a sarcastic comment blaming the flight crew when no information has been forthcoming.

flying_double

The OP said that they couldn't imagine that the pilot would be at fault. I didn't attribute fault. I stated a fact - that the pilot was in control of the aircraft. At least I hope he was - because as you'd know from all your experience these enormous aircraft don't park themselves. Then I made a suggestion as to a possible cause. But yes, let's wait a few months until the official investigation is complete before reconvening to discuss the findings, it'll be so much fun. Good night!

ftm

Tell me about it, I was on this flight today.

We had a sudden stop, but the crew hopelessly made no announcements, we were just told to wait in our seats - with no more communication for over an hour. Even the crew remained seated for most of the time.

I was in Suites (luckily), and the crew told me that we were waiting for quarantine officers to attend to a sick passenger in economy...

I only found out about the incident from news.com.au. Thanks SQ!
#neardeathexperience
Ahhh. Singapore. Problem? What problem?

PointyEnd

I always ask the 'guidance system' to get out and help me park... ;) She has n't failed me yet!

ozbeachbabe

AFF Supporter
If the NIGS was u/s the a/c would've been marshalled in. Wonder besides the engineer how many other staff there were to keep an eye on goings on further back?

I flew recently on NH & it seems that their sops are a wing walker both sides on the a/c plus one behind not to mention the one doing the pushback.

markis10

Veteran Member
The OP said that they couldn't imagine that the pilot would be at fault. I didn't attribute fault. I stated a fact - that the pilot was in control of the aircraft. At least I hope he was - because as you'd know from all your experience these enormous aircraft don't park themselves. Then I made a suggestion as to a possible cause. But yes, let's wait a few months until the official investigation is complete before reconvening to discuss the findings, it'll be so much fun. Good night!
Anythings possible. I suspect the likely cause is ground crew moving the aerobridge before the aircraft had come to a stop. It would be unlikely for a pilot to attempt to park an aircraft if he can see an obstruction in the clearance area, and if NIGs was U/S the marshal would have noticed the aerobridge in the clearance area one would have thought. Regardless, someone had a bad day.

jb747

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Interesting to see the SQ231 prang involving No 2 engine. Looks like the cowling needs replacing.

I cant imagine its the pilots fault - would the fault lie with the ground crew who direct the aircraft/

Also only 285 pax half full
How do you come to that conclusion? If you hit anything whilst under power it's the captain's fault in 99% of cases.

You're supposed to ensure that the bridges are parked before trying to park your aircraft. There are clearly marked areas that they have to be in before the bay can be considered clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea9