Spending UA miles on NZ flights

Discussion in 'United Mileage Plus' started by stuartfaz, Jan 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. stuartfaz

stuartfaz Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    MEL
    Hey all,

Just a question for anyone who has used Mileage Plus Miles on Air NZ flights.

I have 33,000 points, enough, according to United, for a business class flight to and from NZ. However, UA grades their award levels Economy, Business, First (in this case, 20K, 30K and 40K respectively), whereas NZ's three levels are Economy, Premium Economy and Business.

Question is: Do UA MP compare their UA's First class with NZ's Business class? And if so, am I going to be stuck in Premium Economy with NZ if I book with UA miles?

Cheers.

2. stryker

stryker Member

Sep 28, 2006
    book on a 2 class a/c and it won't be a problem.

3. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Nope. You can't redeem for premium economy. A business award gets business class seat on NZ regardless of whether a/c is 2 or 3 class.

If on a route with a choice, I'd take the 3 class a/c (ie 747 or 777) since much nicer than A320 or 767.

Note for the same amount of miles on UA Mileage Plus as AKL-SYD you can do as much as PER-AKL-PPT.

4. StevePER

StevePER Established Member

Oct 17, 2004
    PER
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    True in economy, but not in business class. Australia-New Zealand is 30k and Australia-South Pacific is 40k. But you could always buy the extra 7,000 for US$213 if you wanted to go further afield.

Cheers,
    Steve