South African Airways 'near bankruptcy' | Page 2 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

South African Airways 'near bankruptcy'

Mattg

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
South African Airways has been cancelling flights left, right and centre for the past week or so due to ongoing staff strikes. The airline's acting chair is now uncertain that SAA will have enough money to meet its obligations at the end of this month due to a lack of revenue coming in.

docjames

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Ouch. But it’s hard to imagine the SA government will let it fall over (but you never know).

Edit: Also the pic used at the top of that article has an Air Berlin aircraft behind the SAA aircraft - somewhat prescient?

Melburnian1

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
South African Airways has been cancelling flights left, right and centre for the past week or so due to ongoing staff strikes. The airline's acting chair is now uncertain that SAA will have enough money to meet its obligations at the end of this month due to a lack of revenue coming in...
Interestingly, the second of two comments at bottom claims 'now its aircraft are unsafe...as well..'

Is this claim credible?

Denali

Established Member
AFF Supporter
I have SAA bookings for next April (Johburg to Kruger). Just checked, worse case senario is its a 4hr drive.

Denali

Established Member
AFF Supporter
and an easy drive at that.
Good to know. In hindsight maybe we should have planned to drive but hubby is a bit nervous about the new reports about violence.

Jacques Vert

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
and an easy drive at that.
Although closer to 6 when we did it a couple of years ago, due to traffic and roadworks. Leave yourself a bit of extra time, just in case.

vetrade

Established Member
AFF Supporter
On that note, what would happen if SAA did go out of business with its subsidiaries such as Mango Airlines? Do they go as well?
SAA will never go out of business. Its financial problems are fundamentally due to government corruption with Jacob Zuma and his family (his sister-in-law used to run SAA) / cohorts siphoning off many millions. Cyril Ramaphosa has replaced Zuma as President now but many of the Zuma acolytes remain and corruption is so widespread in SA it will never be contained as long as the ANC rules. As far as SAA is concerned, the government always bails it out whenever money problems arise (i.e. every few years) - the reality is that there are too many people with their snouts in the trough for them to let it fail so money which should be used to alleviate poverty is used to line the pockets and OS bank accounts of those in positions of power

N860CR

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
On that note, what would happen if SAA did go out of business with its subsidiaries such as Mango Airlines? Do they go as well?
As mentioned above it’s unlikely that SAA will go under totally. If it were to though, Mango and Airlink operate independently and by all accounts are profitable in their own right (Airlink in particular). SA Express would likely follow the mothership down.

I’d expect to see Airlink grow to fill SAAs shoes (they already operate a lot of the intra-Africa flying) and they’re close enough to the main carrier to keep the ANCs dodgy deals in place.

juddles

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum 1
Flights
My Map
As vetrade and others have said, it is unlikely SAA will actually cease flying. There is no side in SA that would want that. So my small opinion is that those with forward international bookings should not fret :) I would book with them tomorrow.

drron

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Insurance companies refusing to cover SAA for travel agents.So Flight centre SA refusing to sell their tickets.

vetrade

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Yesterday.still working for me.
Have got it now, thanks - got an error message all afternoon that their server couldn't be accessed.
Interesting article - enough to ponder how long before the dam wall breaks.............:(

drron

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
And Loyalty Lobby's version of the situation.

Reading between the lines they should be able to renegotiate contracts with Zuma cronies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• British Airways Executive Club – AIR025
    Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:53:26 AEDT
      Many Australians join Qantas Frequent Flyer by default. But even if you fly with Qantas regularly, you could benefit by using the British Airways Executive Club frequent f ...
  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBP73