Solar Panels | Page 19 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Solar Panels

Quickstatus

AFF Supporter
While we try to get the electricity distributor to reassess the solar proposal

Can someone please inform me a bit about the quality and reliability of 3 phase SMA inverters and Trina Panels

rogerkambah

AFF Supporter
While we try to get the electricity distributor to reassess the solar proposal

Can someone please inform me a bit about the quality and reliability of 3 phase SMA inverters and Trina Panels
I'm interested in 3 phase too. House has 3 phase for the a/c.

cove

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
We had one SMA inverter replaced under warranty. Our Perth home has an SMA and we are 3 phase. I think our home one is just under 20kW to cover our pool heat pump and air conditioning as well as the normal running of multiple fridges, wine cooler and lots of lights.
The Sydney building has good funds on hand so no special levy required. Am unsure where the funds will come from but it will be coming from a land of plenty compared with some apartment buildings.

Flying mermaid

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
And 3 phase for the induction stoveo_O
We have 3 phase and an induction cooktop and I don’t remember anything special. :).

For solar, From memory having 3 phase meant we could put 10kw into the grid as one inverter was connected to one phase and the other to another, but that’s a total non technical memory and could be totally wrong! We have GE panels and 2 x solar edge inverters.

This is an interesting comparison on panels

mrsterryn

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Our Sydney apartment building has just approved a solar system and there were no objections from any owner.
I wish ours would. We are a small block basically town house style

cove

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Just get to a unit holders meeting mrsterryn. I cannot get to lots of the meetings but I stay in touch with the people running the places.
Our next one is in Los Angeles Tuesday night and we will be attending.

equus

AFF Supporter
There is not necessarily any correlation between having and consuming 3 phase power, and utilising a 3 phase inverter.

You can very happily have 3 phase power and only a single phase inverter. It doesn't matter if you are consuming on one phase, and generating on a different phase, as the smart meter nets the import / export across all the phases - so it is still seen as "self" consumption of the generation, even if in reality you are exporting all on one phase whilst consuming from the grid on a different phase.

The only advantage of a 3 phase inverter is for the grid feed in. Using 3 phases allows the output to be spread across all 3 phases (obviously) which minimizes voltage rise issues (and obviously spreads the actual power across the 3 different lines). This generally allows for a bigger system (you commonly see the export limits quoted like "5kw per phase").

Have a 3 phase Fronius (only 5kw, but a long lead in), and have had no issues in over 3.5 years so far. Paired with a compromise Canadian Solar panels.

For solar, From memory having 3 phase meant we could put 10kw into the grid as one inverter was connected to one phase and the other to another, but that’s a total non technical memory and could be totally wrong! We have GE panels and 2 x solar edge inverters.
And that is a combination of the two - 3 phase power, and 2 single phase inverters (connected to 2 separate phases). Lots of different reasons for different configurations, and pros and cons. 2 inverters gives double the scope for failure (but provides a 50% continuation should one fail), Other considerations such as number of inputs, orientations etc. make it impossible to compare / comment on reasons without all the details.

Quickstatus

AFF Supporter
We have 3 phase and an induction cooktop and I don’t remember anything special. :).

This is an interesting comparison on panels

Apparently under 5kW per phase there is no problem. Between 5-10kW, electricity distributor approval has to be sought. 10kW per phase is considered large scale generation.

So my 25kW inverter is 8.33kW per phase...if I export the entire generation... which I am unlikely to.

Quickstatus

AFF Supporter
So the installer tweaked the application and now the 3 phase 25kw inverter has been approved. :p
The larger the inverter the lower the marginal cost. So lets play the game and see what the real outcome is.

cove

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
One of my friends has a $9,000 credit on his electricity account at his home. I think he gets 47 cents a unit for 10 years for his power he puts into the Perth grid. There were some dopey offers and he was eligible so he grabbed it.

Quickstatus

AFF Supporter
Ill just put in a string of 20kw first and later in the year 5kw on the west roof.

While the $9k could be interest offsetting/bearing, If I had that in the account I would leave it there purely for the enjoyment.

cove

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
He is enjoying opening the power bill mail that’s for sure.

rogerkambah

AFF Supporter
It had nothing to do with any Energy company - it was entirely a political decision.
It had nothing to do with any Energy company - it was entirely a political decision.
But aren't the energy users that didn't/ couldn't for whatever reason avail themselves of the offer are still contributing to the largess of those that could?
Bit like a reverse Robin Hood.

Quickstatus

AFF Supporter
dont let the poor get in the way of the wider climate change narrative. Successful Govt intervention that benefits the poor is very rare.

downgraded

The thing that I'd still like to understand is that if it was all politics and not the electricity company, why does my retailer offer me an extra 6c per kwh over and above the 60c PFIT we already get?

Quickstatus

AFF Supporter
They just charge it to the overall tariffs. The retailer is not losing money.

downgraded

They just charge it to the overall tariffs. The retailer is not losing money.
I get that. But I'm the supplier detached from their consumers yet with the apparent difference between the "outrageous" PFIT and consumer kwh rates they are still prepared to pay an extra 10% and still make a profit.
We've got 2.5kw of panels, consume about 5kwh per day net, and bank about $800/year in refunds from our retailer, a scenario that's still profitable to them one presumes.

Recent Posts

AFF on Air Podcast

• Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...
  • Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York - a feat it aims to achi ...
  • Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you're new to the world of frequent flyer points - or moving to a new country - it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the consider ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcmanimm

Currently Active Users