sir, i'll need you to stow that hard cover book ...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by bigjobs, Dec 7, 2005.

1. bigjobs

bigjobs Active Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Hi all,

i was on a Qantaslink flight to Rockhampton yesterday from BNE (Return) and then today i was on another Qantaslink flight from BNE to NTL.
    Registered Users don't see this and have the option of removing all other advertisements.  Register HERE

both times i had a hardcover book that i was reading and on all of these flights today and yesterday i was asked be the cabin crew to stow the book for take off and landing!

i was surprised by this as i have never been asked this previously and for it to happen two days in a row i am now assuming that it is some sort of safety improvement that Qantaslink have implemented.

i guess a hardcover book can become something of a missile if there is bad turbulence ... maybe someone, somewhere got hit in the head in this manner recently ...

anyway, has anyone else had this experience recently? is it something new or has it been around for ages and maybe i just some really conscientious flight crews?

safe travels ...

2. ksthommo

ksthommo Active Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Cairns
    Happens all the time on Qantaslink flights Brisbane/Longreach, must be a Dash 8 thing?

3. Guest

Guest Guest

corners on hardcover books can cause quite some pain

4. Groundfeeder

Groundfeeder Active Member

Nov 3, 2005
    Brisbane
    bigjobs

You found room for a hard cover book on a Crash-8???

They were probably disturbed that you hadn't booked a seat for it.

Given their small dispensations for carry-on luggage weight, I'm surprised that they didn't put a HEAVY tag on it, like my QP bag.

5. Damien

Damien Member

Aug 29, 2005
    BNE
    I was on a BA operated 747 a couple of days ago, and I was asked to take my blanket off the floor for take-off. I've never been asked to do that before. :roll:

6. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    I was told to stowe a laptop in the locker above on a flight to Melbourne last week on one of the ex-BA 767's, thats a first as well.