Should I transfer points / booking etc? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Should I transfer points / booking etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnc

New at this game, so sorry if this is the wrong area.

1. I have about +300,000 sitting in my credit card and wonder if I should trf these to QFF? (don't trust the banks, but is Qantas better?)

2. If that's the thing to do, should I put all into my QFF acct or split them 50/50 in the wife's acct? ie which is the easier way to manage and use them?

3. Should we join one of the FF clubs etc to handle our bookings, do it alone, or is there a better way

4. Is FF Club worth it? Seems a lot of bucks for $1000 a year - we'll mostky lileky do 2 overseas trips a year

With thanks
John

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Hi John,

QFF is not much better than the banks. Not sure whether you have heard about the May 25, 2005 changes but basically points in QFF accounts were devalued by ~20-30% depending on where you wanted to go.

One account may be a better option, easier to manage and you can also book for both people anyway.

It is very easy to book award seats, even a dummy like me has been able to do it, online and if you get into trouble you can book through Qantas at a cost of 2500 qff points per trip per person. There is no way I would be spending $1000 on a ff club. I just can't see the benefit if you are only planning 2 overseas trips a year.

Good luck.

NM

Flights
My Map
Be aware that once the points are transferred to your Qantas account, they are stuck there. There is no way to transfer points out of Qantas to another program.

So my recommendation is to leave them where they are where you have the option to send them to Qantas if/when you are ready to redeem an award, or you can choose to use them for an award from the Credit Card loyalty program, or you may choose to transfer them to different program. For example Amex points can be transferred to a number of airline and hotel programs.

For this reason I am holding my Amex points in the Amex account until I need them elsewhere. I may find I can get better value by sending them to Hilton Honours for free accommodation rather than to Qantas for discounted flights (I say discounted since you still have to pay the fuel surcharges, taxes and levies).

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamolhaaaa