Should I join USDM now

Discussion in 'US Airways Dividend Miles' started by spudwa, Apr 21, 2014.

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
?

Is now a good time to join USDM

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. spudwa

spudwa Member

Oct 23, 2010
    My wife and I have been using USDM for a couple of years now with a few redemptions. Some friends who have been following our adventures want to go to Europe next year.

Do AFF'ers think now is a good time for our friends to start buying miles Yes/No

2. Beta4Me

Beta4Me Established Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #2 Beta4Me, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    I would open accounts with everything under the sun: LifeMiles, Alaska, United, BA/Avios, US, American etc.
    Then they're sitting there when they want to decide to travel/buy for a future trip(s).
    Whether it's a good time or not? I'm hesitant with US given recent devaluations and the strong likelihood that there will be more to come, however it's more so because I don't really have the money to spend on it right now so I wouldn't want to stretch with such risk. If I had cash burning a hole in my pocket, though, I would have bought.
    Just remember, points are a currency that can be devalued at any time and certainly do not appreciate. They don't earn interest, are generally non-transferrable and you are at the mercy of draconian T&C's. Your friends need to know exactly what they are getting themselves into along with the possible rewards for creative use.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Beta4Me

Nov 10, 2012
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    And it's worth mentioning USDM have been noticeably stricter with enforcing the rules they've always had. This is making it harder to redeem.

4. Mwenenzi

Mwenenzi Established Member

May 17, 2006
    MEL
    US DM miles will become AA miles in the AA freq flyer program. Its just a matter of when. 1 Jan 2015 is a possibility as that is the start of the status year

5. Beta4Me

Nov 10, 2012
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I trust AA even less now. The loss of free stopovers at international gateway cities burned me.

6. Alanslegal

Alanslegal Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Sydney
    Joining is free :) so just join.

To buy or not to buy miles ..... make a decision after 12 days of joining ;)