RooFlyer

Veteran Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Star Alliance
Silver
Mostly in the category of rant, but possibly some lessons for 28 Degree M'card users.

I had to pay Avis in the UK $1,200 for damage to a hire car when a driver-under-the-influence (and carted off by the police) sideswiped me. I would get the money back when the other party's insurance paid up.

So, I was pleased recently when this amount was paid back to my 28 Degrees Mastercard, taking it by that much into surplus (ie I didn't have any payments on the card at that time). I called and asked how I could access the surplus, as I wasn't intending to use the card for a couple of months.

I was only given the option of having a cheque sent to me (I later learned that I should have also been offered an electronic transfer of $500/day :( ), and that it might take a couple of weeks. Not that happy about the delay, but I said OK. There was absolutely no reason for leaving $1,200 just sitting there for at least 2 months.

Three days later I saw that the amount had been taken from my account.

Two weeks later, when nothing appeared in the post, I called for an update. I was told that they couldn't tell, but the cheque probably hadn't been sent yet, as somehow the money has to go "to GE" for sending out and this usually took a couple of weeks. I asked for an explanation of this process, and timing, and was put through to a 'supervisor' Supervisor said that in fact, yes, the cheque HAD been cut and sent out on the day the money went from my account (2 weeks prior) and she was surprised that it hadn't reached me yet (skeptical, I asked to confirm this - she did). We agreed that I'd wait a couple of days to see if anything arrived in the post.

Three days later, the cheque did arrive in the post. BUT it was dated the same day as I called, three days prior.

So I called again, and got through to another 'supervisor'. I asked 1) How could it be that I was told that a cheque was definitely sent on a day 2, nearly 3 weeks ago, when the cheque was dated 2 weeks later; and 2) Who had use of my money during the 2 week period between when it went from my account and when the cheque was cut? (Remember this was surplus funds in my account - not a reversal of a transaction).

Couldn't answer either question - a call back promised, but not received. I'm calling them again on Monday and then, absent a satisfactory explanation, complaining to the Financial Services Ombudsman (or whoever looks after cards)

Not the end of the world - but I think its pretty crook that this financial institution obviously had my funds in its pocket for a couple of weeks. There is absolutely no reason or excuse for a 2 week delay in taking funds from an account and the cutting and sending a cheque. I was advised that it may take 2 weeks (again, I was told then that the only choice was a manual cheque), but not that the funds wouldn't be in my account during that time.

Switch to Bankwest zero m/c platinum. We have done this with improved results.

Wondering why you didn't just withdraw through an ATM?

I'd report them but wondering how you'll answer this question they ask "how would you like this resolved?" As it already has been.

How much though? Worth the wait? Just checked. $36.

I remember one credit card being in credit. I just used it for all purchases like groceries etc until it had gone.

Wondering why you didn't just withdraw through an ATM?

I'd report them but wondering how you'll answer this question they ask "how would you like this resolved?" As it already has been.

If I took it out via an ATM, or electronically transferred the funds out, it would have been treated as a cash advance with immediate and usurious interest charges - yes even though it was my own money, not credit extended by 28 Degrees Mastercard!! :shock:

My reply to 'how would you like this resolved' depends on what they say on Monday. Certainly hasn't been resolved already. If their response is unsatisfactory, I will be asking them to make a $50 payment to a charity, with the reasoning that it requires some positive gesture and some 'pain' for the issue to register on their system.

When I had a dispute with ANZ bank this year, the result after a couple of months back-and-forthing was a $500 donation by them to Legacy :) They didn't want to do it, but they wanted a cast iron complaint against them to the FOS even less.

How much though? Worth the wait? Just checked. $36.

I remember one credit card being in credit. I just used it for all purchases like groceries etc until it had gone.

But like I said, I wasn't going to use this card for a couple of months. I only use it overseas. For domestic purchases, I use a points-generating card.

Edit: Sorry, just understood the $36 you mentioned (yes, slow). The cash isn't the issue - I object to a large financial institution simply appropriating my funds. I'd been without the $1,200 for almost 3 months thanks to Avis, so $36 was never going to influence things. Dare I say its the principle :) .

Last edited:
If your account is in credit then you'd not incur any other charges than the $36 ATM fee.

Principles are good. But sometimes they create extra issues. :p

I like your idea of making good too.

Switch to Bankwest zero m/c platinum. We have done this with improved results.

Could tell us more about this one is it ok for O/S purchases?

Could tell us more about this one is it ok for O/S purchases?

Overseas purchases Bankwest zero platinum ... no FX fees and uses mastercard conversion rate. Better experience vs GE money.
If you are spending a lot then $160 fee to Bankwest for their Qantas version for $1 / 1 point earn is also good i.e why not make it the primary card if you travel a lot. $1 / 1 point earn on all spending domestic and international.

Overseas cash out ... Citibank Plus Visa debit ... no fees.

This to me is now the best pair of cards.

The 28 Deg card is now a spare.

I had a big refund to my Bankwest M/C last week which left it ~$4000 in credit, and I was able to simply transfer this to my own (non-BW) bank account using internet banking. No fees or charges. The Bankwest Platinum card is definitely the best value M/C in the market at the moment imo.

Update. Got a call back from 28 Degree complaints. Started badly when the lady who called me didn't have a good grasp on the situation (when I was told I'd get a call back from complaints, I suggested that whoever called me should first review the recording of the particular prior call in question, to be fully informed. Sigh.)

Anyway, I went through the sequence of events and the call went well and it was agreed my experience was 'unacceptable'. I was then offered a goodwill credit of $50 onto my account. Must have read my mind!

Accepted this (will be donating to Hobart Women's Shelter) and am mollified for now.

But I'll still be switching to Bankwest Zero Plat - I have an application half completed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back