Schedule changes to flight booked with Amex qantas travel voucher

ScubaMel

Intern
I’m not sure if this should be in here or in the QF forum…feel free to move if appropriate.

I booked a flight only yesterday CHC-MEL for March next year using my Amex $450 qantas travel voucher. The flight had perfect timing, leaving CHC at 1.50pm. As I was uploading the itinerary into checkmytrip tonight, I noticed that the time of the flight was different. I checked the QF website and sure enough, the flight now departs CHC at 6am 😤 (interestingly TripIt hasn’t picked up the schedule change yet)

My questions are
1. Will Amex travel let me know at some point that the schedule has changed? I haven’t received anything from them as yet?
2. What are the chances of being able to change my flight to the next day now? The new departure really doesn’t work for me. I’m presuming that because I have used my Amex travel voucher a refund isn’t an option.

thanks!

Will Amex travel let me know at some point that the schedule has changed? I haven’t received anything from them as yet?

Knowing Amex Travel, probably not. But Qantas has your details and file and should.

What are the chances of being able to change my flight to the next day now? The new departure really doesn’t work for me. I’m presuming that because I have used my Amex travel voucher a refund isn’t an option.

Highly likely, especially if your original booking class is still available. If you want to post the date/flight number I can give you the ExpertFlyer output?

Knowing Amex Travel, probably not. But Qantas has your details and file and should.

Highly likely, especially if your original booking class is still available. If you want to post the date/flight number I can give you the ExpertFlyer output?
Thanks. It’s QF132 19th March 2023

Thanks. It’s QF132 19th March 2023

J9 C9 D7 I0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q0 O0 X0 E0

Which booking class are you in? (You can find out easily on Qantas MMB)

S, so plenty of seats.

When I log into MMB though it says ‘This booking was made by a travel agency. Contact your travel agency for any changes, amendments or to exchange this booking into a Flight Credit.
Note: these changes can only be completed by your travel agency.’

No alert within MMB to say the flight had changed times.

The notice is correct, you will need to call Amex Travel to get the flight changed.

Just be clear that it was an involuntary change and the new departure time doesn't suit so need to move it to the next day. You shouldn't be charged any change fee or fare difference, if they try to do so ask the call to be escalated and keep stressing that the new schedule isn't suitable.

Also just to let you know, Amex can reinstate the voucher to your account with a fresh 12 month expiry in some circumstances e.g. route cancellation or other involuntary changes. So I suspect if you pushed hard enough, you could get a full refund inc voucher if you wanted to book with a different carrier on your original date of travel. But beware it can take 2-3 months for both the cash and voucher refund...

And as the flight is not until March 2023, there is a very good chance that there will be 4 more schedule changes between now and then. Amex (and likely QF) probably also have an expectation that this may not be the last and final schedule change so may not contact you for quite some time. Keep watching and keep us posted of the progress.

my experience with Amex is that I get an updated itinerary in my email, eventually. They have never really called out what changed.

I contacted Amex travel via the travel chat earlier tonight and the agent was quite happy to give me a refund for my flights due to the schedule change with the CHC-MEL flight. She mentioned I'd get a refund of the cash portion I had paid and then a voucher for the $450. Does anyone have any idea how long the voucher takes to come through. I can't see anything in my amex account online and haven't received an email about it. I have received an email about the cash portion being refunded. Stupid me didn't take screen shots of the conversation :(

Does anyone have any idea how long the voucher takes to come through. I can't see anything in my amex account online and haven't received an email about it. I have received an email about the cash portion being refunded. Stupid me didn't take screen shots of the conversation :(

Back in January it took them almost 4 weeks to reinstate my voucher after the 8 weeks Qantas took to refund the cash.

eek, ok, I was expecting it be an automatic thing :(

I didn't ask for clarification but I presume it's another qantas only voucher? I did mention on the chat that there was jetstar flight in the evening as she said I could rebook elsewhere and she didn't say I coudn't use it with jetstar, but she also may not have known/realised.

I booked CHC-BNE-MEL but Qantas changed the schedule of the first flight resulting in a misconnect. I called Amex to get the second flight changed so that it connects with the first flight but I was told all connecting flights are sold out, even though I can see these flights are still for sale on all online sales channels. I was however offered a change to a nonstop flight but I don't want that because this is a DSC run.

Am I correct in assuming that Amex has the ability to change my second flight and that I just need to HUACA?

I booked CHC-BNE-MEL but Qantas changed the schedule of the first flight resulting in a misconnect. I called Amex to get the second flight changed so that it connects with the first flight but I was told all connecting flights are sold out, even though I can see these flights are still for sale on all online sales channels. I was however offered a change to a nonstop flight but I don't want that because this is a DSC run.

Am I correct in assuming that Amex has the ability to change my second flight and that I just need to HUACA?
What time is the arrival into BNE? Unless its very late in the evening, I would not expect all BNE-MEL services to be completely full. QF operates BNE-MEL hourly during peak times and every 2 hours outside that until last flight of the day.

Perhaps its a matter of being sold out in the fare type you purchased. But since it was a QF schedule change, and your posts implies its a single booking, then QF should be re accommodating you on a valid itinerary.

However, offering you a direct service is a perfectly valid option from Qantas and Amex, so you I don't think you can insist on the non-direct routing just due to the DSC promotion.

However, offering you a direct service is a perfectly valid option from Qantas and Amex, so you I don't think you can insist on the non-direct routing just due to the DSC promotion.

Not only that but you're still entitled to the DSC as originally booked. Take plenty of screenshots from Qantas MMB before making the change, then accept it, then request ORC after flying by emailing [email protected] and attached the original itinerary, screenshots, photos of boarding passes, and mention in the message that the flights were eligible for DSC.

Not only that but you're still entitled to the DSC as originally booked. Take plenty of screenshots from Qantas MMB before making the change, then accept it, then request ORC after flying by emailing [email protected] and attached the original itinerary, screenshots, photos of boarding passes, and mention in the message that the flights were eligible for DSC.
I thought about mentioning that, but suspect that may take some convincing if the change is made in advance of travel. Certainly for disrupted travel then any re-routing or change in carrier then there is an option to request Original Routing Credit, but this situation may not satisfy the conditions (unknown and likely unpublished conditions) as it may be seen as a voluntary change to the booking and not a disruption to travel.

Of course, it can't hurt to ask!

it may be seen as a voluntary change to the booking and not a disruption to travel.

Hence why it's important to save any emails advising of the change, or at a minimum take screenshots showing the itinerary has involuntary changes and is impossible to fly. I've had no issue claiming ORC when involuntary changes have been made months prior to departure.

I booked a flight only yesterday CHC-MEL for March next year using my Amex $450 qantas travel voucher. The flight had perfect timing, leaving CHC at 1.50pm. As I was uploading the itinerary into checkmytrip tonight, I noticed that the time of the flight was different. I checked the QF website and sure enough, the flight now departs CHC at 6am 😤 (interestingly TripIt hasn’t picked up the schedule change yet)
I have been a frequent flyer on QF133 - QF132. Never seen a 06:00 CHC MEL departure. That's an odd time for that flight. It used to depart 13:30, then 19:40 and to 20:30. Reasonable chance schedule will change again between now and March 2023. [06:00 is far too early for me from CHC]

I had no idea customer service at Amex Travel was so bad. I've been on hold for almost 2 hours now. I should hang up but I am curious now as to when they will eventually answer the phone.

@aikman, i have used the chat on their website and found it useful. The chat box oy pops up when someone is available. I think their hours are 7am-7pm. I know tried the other night around 6.30pm for chat and couldn’t get anyone, but tried the next morning and someone was available immediately.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back