Scams like these

Only an Indian or African would use Mr first name, here, in Aus and other parts, its Mr surname.
So, they are up to their tricks again.
This one is like the solicitor acting on behalf of a deceased relative in the UK.

Received this today from - gencigjoni21929@gmail,com

Dear <<Email address displayed>>

We are grateful that you have chosen to subscribe to AVG Security Auto Renewal. This email confirms that we have received a request to automatically renew the malware protection provided by Computer Firewall Security.

Within 24 to 48 hours, the sum of $387.99 will be automatically deducted from your bank account and appear on your statement.

Invoice

CLIENT ID. : SSF5647654675

Invoice Date. : 30.05. 2024.

Product Details. : AVG Security Renewal:

Total Amount. : $387.99

HELP-DESK: +61 3 9015 7725

For any assistance you have or in case of refund/cancelling the order.

We’re always happy to help you.

Thank you
AVG BILLING TEAM:

Hi
Has anyone received any correspondence from Ticketmaster themselves about the recent breach. It is extensive, global but so far silence from them
I have an account
Ironically - they upgraded the platform last month and turned off the former app!

I got an odd one today ... it looks like potentially a valid message from the Insurance Commission of WA, although I don't know how to check whether the displayed phone number or URL on an SMS is the actual one which will be called or browsed-to if you follow the link so I can't be sure.

It starts with "Hi Sawitra", so it could actually be a dud number given to ICWA.
But it could also be fake links, so I'm ignoring it, even if Sawitra never gets her reference-number. :)

A slightly different one from AVG (or not as the case maybe)

Thank you for your order

hxusiabs341@gmailxx_x

Dear xx_x

This email is to confirm you that we have received an Auto-Renewal request for the Security-malware for your devices Computer, Laptop, Android phones, Apple IOS etc.

The amount of $499.00 will be auto debited and will be reflected in your bank account statement within 24 hours.

Invoice details
ORDER ID : 5689SDF57465376
PRODUCT : AVG COMPUTER PROTECTION
INVOICE DATE : 30-05-2024

TOTAL : $ 499.00

CUSTOMER SUPPORT: +61 3 9015 7725

For any assistance you have or in case of refund/cancelling the order

We’re always happy to help you.

THANK YOU

AVG

Hi
Has anyone received any correspondence from Ticketmaster themselves about the recent breach. It is extensive, global but so far silence from them
I have an account
Ironically - they upgraded the platform last month and turned off the former app!
Zilch but I tend to use Paypal to pay so hopefully that's a bit more secure

BEWARE
Received this SMS this morning. It did get a rise in blood pressure.

Just when I was thinking Coles had pushed me into a corner to force turning on auto-transfer I received another SMS

And then another;

Be careful you do not get caught!
Got that just now. The rewards seemed too good to be true. So I googled

I’ve been getting that Coles points one too, it’s always 3022 points. They’ve obviously not put much effort into considering what the number of points should be, 3022 points in any loyalty scheme is unlikely to be worth more than 3 tissues and a small wad of belly-button lint.

Here is a good news story.
I got the scam that wasn’t!
As @JohnK mentioned in a thread companies must be doing some housekeeping
Got an email from Telstra yesterday saying I had been overcharged for international roaming charges. I would be credited an amount plus interest plus sorry $$. Nothing to link to / email looked correct
About $500 all up — my name/email/account details all there
In the past I did have an issue with them overcharging me for O/S calls but could not take them further as it was a series of ‘computer says no’ and I left it.

I sent the email to Telstra cybersecurity team who responded this morning within an hour.

They said it is definitely legitimate and not a scam.

Computer said ‘yes’!!
Later that day we also got a cheque for $80 from Telstra (no explanation).
It did not bounce….😂

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Hi
I have an account
I got an email last night.

“The available evidence at this time indicates that, from a privacy perspective, your name, date of birth and email address may have been impacted.”

Haven’t used them for years.
I always check my debit and credit accounts a few times each week.
but will have to keep an eye on credit reporting re potential identity theft stuff.
Post automatically merged:

Hi
I have an account

I got an email last night.

“The available evidence at this time indicates that, from a privacy perspective, your name, date of birth and email address may have been impacted.”

Haven’t used them for years.
I always check my debit and credit accounts a few times each week.
but will have to keep an eye on credit reporting re potential identity theft stuff.
Post automatically merged:
Got something from Ticketek but not Ticketmaster

Here is a good news story.
I got the scam that wasn’t!
As @JohnK mentioned in a thread companies must be doing some housekeeping
Got an email from Telstra yesterday saying I had been overcharged for international roaming charges. I would be credited an amount plus interest plus sorry $$. Nothing to link to / email looked correct
About $500 all up — my name/email/account details all there
In the past I did have an issue with them overcharging me for O/S calls but could not take them further as it was a series of ‘computer says no’ and I left it.

I sent the email to Telstra cybersecurity team who responded this morning within an hour.

They said it is definitely legitimate and not a scam.

Computer said ‘yes’!!
Later that day we also got a cheque for $80 from Telstra (no explanation).
It did not bounce….😂
not sure whether to laugh or be completely flabbergasted - well done

Got something from Ticketek but not Ticketmaster
My error, hadn’t realised.
but
“Ms O'Neil noted Ticketek was a different company to Ticketmaster — which was also working alongside the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner after claims of a separate cyber attack earlier this week.”

I am Sophia Clarke, a 78 years old widow. I was married to late Stephen Clarke, my late husband was from Sweden, who worked with Oil Company in United States for thirty years before he died in the year 2020 after a brief illness that lasted only few days. Following my ill health (Leukemia), my doctor told me that I may not live longer than required due to my health condition. I am looking forward to someone who I can entrust my husband's money to use for charitable works. More details will be made known to you upon your response.

Thank you,

May God Bless
Mrs. Sophia Clarke.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back