Roll of duct tape - OK in carry on luggage?

RSD

Established Member
Thought that I had better check on this one before I do it - is airport security likely to get upset about a roll of duct tape in carry on luggage? Have to tape up a box that will be going checked luggage and so want to put the remainder of the roll in my carry on rather than bin it.

Thought that I had better check on this one before I do it - is airport security likely to get upset about a roll of duct tape in carry on luggage? Have to tape up a box that will be going checked luggage and so want to put the remainder of the roll in my carry on rather than bin it.
Years ago a colleague had a couple of rolls of Electrical Insulation tape confiscated at an Australian airport. Take it and be prepared to lose it.

I suggest that you exchange the "duct tape" for a more suitable packaging tape product. Duct Tape, and Gaffer Tape, are less effective for cardboard box sealing than many other tape products that are designed for sealing cardboard packaging boxes. The adhesive on duct tape (and gaffer tape) grabs the very outer layer of the cardboard and then is "saturated" by the fibres of the cardboard and has no depth of stick, and after a very short time and with just a little force it just gives away.

I use proper gaff tape (Nashua 357) for a lot of things, including tasks such as repairing jazz shoes before daughter's performances, and I buy the stuff by the carton so its always on hand, but never use it for closing cardboard packaging boxes because it just does not work well and cheap packaging tape does a better job.

You will likely get a better packaging result with a $2 roll of packaging tape than with duct tape. And if security folks don't like the left over roll of packaging tape, then its a $2 throw away if confiscated. You can buy a 2-roll pack of packaging tape from office/stationery supply outlets for under $3 - tape one to the airport and keep the other at home for next time. For $1.50, toss the left-over in the bin at the airport of concerned.

However, I very much doubt any type of tape will cause a concern at a security screening checkpoint.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I've had small rolls of electrical insulation tape queried at CBR a few times in the past, but nothing in recent times.

I find this type of tape to be very versatile, despite its humble look.

Presumably because it could be used to immobilise crew.
I had packing tape confiscated once. I’ve always tried to imagine how a small lady would do any harm with half a roll of packing tape.

Curiously, I went through MEL international last Friday with some strapping tape for my ankle. They were going to take it from me on the basis of the scan (thinking it was gaffer I suppose), but when they saw the box they waved me through. So, strapping tape: fine, packing tape: danger.

I had packing tape confiscated once. I’ve always tried to imagine how a small lady would do any harm with half a roll of packing tape.
In the eyes of the security, you could be a well chosen courier for someone onboard who has plans for the tape.

I had similar questions about the swabs: why did I get them done every second time going through the security checks pre-pandemic? Surely, I don't look like a prime suspect of carrying illicit goods (or, I hope I look pretty normal).

I had a roll of tape confiscated in CNS domestic about 20 years ago. I had bought the roll to seal a small foam esky of chilled seafood.

Curiously, I went through MEL international last Friday with some strapping tape for my ankle. They were going to take it from me on the basis of the scan (thinking it was gaffer I suppose), but when they saw the box they waved me through. So, strapping tape: fine, packing tape: danger.
I've got a dodgy shoulder (and ankle and other ankle and...) and I once had strapping tape confiscated.

I've had a (yes, singular) 10cm plastic cable tie confiscated. Imagine the carnage a decent sized dude could cause if that got onboard!

In the eyes of the security, you could be a well chosen courier for someone onboard who has plans for the tape.

I had similar questions about the swabs: why did I get them done every second time going through the security checks pre-pandemic? Surely, I don't look like a prime suspect of carrying illicit goods (or, I hope I look pretty normal).
The swab test on dom flights is to test for *omb residue.
But they used to pick 5 pax to do on, how do they know which pax it is that has the positive result, is always what I wanted to know, but never asked... never instigate anything that might hold me up, tho, maybe its the fear in me.
Same as int flights, if its done by sec, its for *omb residue.
If its done by ABF, then the swabs are for drugs.

I just buy the cheapest possible roll of packing tape and use the whole thing on the box, even if I double or triple wrap it.

But they used to pick 5 pax to do on, how do they know which pax it is that has the positive result, is always what I wanted to know, but never asked...

If they get a +ve result, they will then re-test everyone in that group, individually.

If they don't get many +ves during a day (and you'd expect that was the case), then its a quicker way for them to screen more people.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back