Reward Points on Platinum Reserve Card

knagelli

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
Hi AFF experts , Does anyone have issue with reward points on the reserve card. I have the reserve card as a free benefit of having the Amex Platinum Charge card. My understanding was that the reward points on reserve card will be awarded as per the rate applicable to charge card which is 2.25 / $ spend.

Though I had the card for well over 2 years , recently I noticed that reserve card spend is being rewarded at 2points/$ which I believe is not correct ( hoping that I am not wrong ).

Can anyone clarify before I take it up with Amex. Also assuming the reward points awarded are not correct , can we ask for compensation from Amex.

Thanks for any tips/tricks to deal with this.

My Platinum Reserve earns 2.25ppd. Does your Platinum Reserve give you the annual travel credit? I thought I'd read that those whose Platinum Reserves came with annual travel credit had 2ppd.

I'd read that those whose Platinum Reserves came with annual travel credit had 2ppd

I do get $400 travel credit on my platinum reserve. Can I please ask you to share the link which states the above condition so I am clear before raising it with Amex. Thanks

I do get $400 travel credit on my platinum reserve. Can I please ask you to share the link which states the above condition so I am clear before raising it with Amex. Thanks

Platinum Reserve 2 Points per $ with $400 travel credit

Platinum Reserve 2 Points per $ with $400 travel credit
I do agree that if you had a platinum reserve as a separate card the earning rate is as per the link above. But my question was around the point earn rate if you also had the platinum charge card.

I do agree that if you had a platinum reserve as a separate card the earning rate is as per the link above. But my question was around the point earn rate if you also had the platinum charge card.

My understanding was that it earns at the rate of a normal Platinum Reserve card, the main difference being that you could use Ascent Premium.

My card is a fee free companion to my Amex Plat Personal Charge Card, and you aren't able to get the Platinum Reserve Credit Card unless you already hold a Personal Platinum Charge Card. The Platinum Reserve Credit Card is not offered as a stand alone card.

The Platinum Reserve Credit Card is not offered as a stand alone card.
I agree , what I meant was that looking at the offer terms and conditions as a stand alone card the points are 2/$ spend.

It's dependent on when you applied for the plat res - from the Ts & Cs:
American Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card Members who applied and are approved for the Card on or after 09 March 2021 and who hold the Card in conjunction with an American Express Platinum or Centurion Charge Card will receive 2.25 points per $1 spent on all purchases, except government bodies and 1 point per $1 spent at government bodies. All other American Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card Members will receive 2 points per $1 spent on all purchases, except government bodies and 1 point per $1 spent at government bodies.

Hi all.

Silly question. Why would one want to have a plat reserve companion card when one already have a plat charge?

Thanks.
K.

Hi all.

Silly question. Why would one want to have a plat reserve companion card when one already have a plat charge?

Thanks.
K.
I use the Platinum Reserve instead of my Platinum Charge as the interest free statement period is longer and at the moment AMEX is running the no fee 3 months instalments on cards, but not the Platinum Charge. So I can buy something now and pay it off in thirds offer the next 3 months, but still get the same points earn.

I use the Platinum Reserve instead of my Platinum Charge as the interest free statement period is longer and at the moment AMEX is running the no fee 3 months instalments on cards, but not the Platinum Charge. So I can buy something now and pay it off in thirds offer the next 3 months, but still get the same points earn.
Thanks for the info!

Hi all.

Thanks.
K.
Also:
  • If you joined under the terms with the $400 travel credit, it's an extra $400 in credits to help offset the annual cost of the Platinum Charge.
  • It's another potential vector for using Amex Offers. (And sometimes I get offers only on the Reserve, which aren't offered on the Charge.)
  • But with 2.00ppd as opposed to 2.25ppd for the Charge, I only use it for Amex Offers and not for regular spending.

Also:
  • If you joined under the terms with the $400 travel credit, it's an extra $400 in credits to help offset the annual cost of the Platinum Charge.
  • It's another potential vector for using Amex Offers. (And sometimes I get offers only on the Reserve, which aren't offered on the Charge.)
  • But with 2.00ppd as opposed to 2.25ppd for the Charge, I only use it for Amex Offers and not for regular spending.
As above, if you signup for the Platinum Charge now you can get the Reserve for free without the $400 travel credit, but it will also earn 2.25ppd instead of 2ppd.

I have just started using my reserve (after pretty much no use for 4 years) to differentiate certain spending and so I spend on different cards. I am on 400 and 2ppd and I enquired if I was going to change to 0 and 2.25ppd could that be possible and the answer was yes - I haven't done it I was just curious. It is possible if people want to do that

I have just started using my reserve (after pretty much no use for 4 years) to differentiate certain spending and so I spend on different cards. I am on 400 and 2ppd and I enquired if I was going to change to 0 and 2.25ppd could that be possible and the answer was yes - I haven't done it I was just curious. It is possible if people want to do that
Does it mean if we forgo the cash back benefit of 400 , we can move onto 2.25 ppd ?? I hardly use my reserve card unless there is any ongoing promotion and still take benefit from the 400$ if nothing else.

Does it mean if we forgo the cash back benefit of 400 , we can move onto 2.25 ppd ?? I hardly use my reserve card unless there is any ongoing promotion and still take benefit from the 400$ if nothing else.
yes thats the way I understand it
Some prefer the $400 travel for reducing AF but others prefer extra points. If you had an original card you get to choose.
New people only get the latter option

Back