Relocating to Australia - Best credit card for international reward flights

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy123

Hi there
I'm relocating to Australia, can anyone recommend the best credit card for earning flight reward points on all purchases that can be used on flights back to Europe with any of these carriers Qantas, Etihad, BA, Singapore, Virgin, Emirates etc etc - I'd prefer an 'open' reward programme that doesn't limit you to one carrier or another
Thanks in advance for any help
J :)

Qantas AMEX would be my pick!

krisflyer also has a deal with amex i think in australia.

At the end of the day it depends whether you want to ally yourself with OW or *A

Hi there
I'm relocating to Australia, can anyone recommend the best credit card for earning flight reward points on all purchases that can be used on flights back to Europe with any of these carriers Qantas, Etihad, BA, Singapore, Virgin, Emirates etc etc - I'd prefer an 'open' reward programme that doesn't limit you to one carrier or another
Thanks in advance for any help
J :)

Firstly, welcome to AFF, and I guess welcome to Australia!

You're going to have to choose between Qantas (and its oneworld/other partners), Emirates (only) and the rest.

Cards that feed into Qantas can only go to Qantas. Qantas Amex is an example of this (there may be some nuances around this and some exceptions, but generally that is the rule). For accessing Europe Qantas partners with the oneworld airlines, plus Jet Airways and SAS.

There is a citibank card that feeds directly into Emirates Skywards program.

Then there is Amex (with Ascent) that allows 1:1 transfers to Singapore Airlines (which can access all star alliance carriers), Velocity/Virgin Blue (in theory accesses Emirates and Malaysian) and Virgin Atlantic (for Europe this accesses Virgin Atlantic, Malaysian, Air NZ & Singapore), as well as 4:3 transfers to Malaysian, Cathay Pacific & Thai, and also allows transfers to Air NZ. Also allows to buy commercial tickets for 100 pts = $1, which if there is a lot of discounting going on, can be more effective than using award tickets for Y travel (especially given that you may then earn points on the fare you travel on).

If you want open card - I think a non Qantas branded amex with Ascent, would be best. Most options, and the burn rates on some of the partners are usually better than Qantas anyway. Not up to date on the latest offering, but you may be able to get an Amex Rewards Maximiser that earns 1.5 pts/$1 spent - if you spend enough to make the higher fee worthwhile.

Think carefully before committing to a Qantas branded card, as you are essentially locking yourself in, and sometimes burn rates are higher in the Qantas FF program, and availability restrictive unless you have status with Qantas

There's also the AMEX Platinum charge card which gives access to Ascent Premium, thus allowing the transfer of points to Qantas in additional to all the options dajop mentioned for Ascent. But given the $900 annual fee I wouldn't be getting the Plat charge for that reason alone. Instead, you should analyse all the additional benefits you'd get from the card and whether you feel like you need them (insurance whether I'd paid for the trip with the card or not and the lack of a theoretical pre-set limit are the big ones for me).

If not, then I'd suggest the AMEX Platinum credit card which gives access to Ascent is good enough. You get 1.5 point per $ spent up to $100k (1:1 thereafter). And the $345 annual fee is well worth it for the free domestic QF flight or hotel night, and the complimentary insurance you get when you pay for a trip with the card.

Welcome to AFF and welcome down under! :D

Hi guys
Thanks for replying and for the tips.
Its likely I'll be given a Diners Club corporate card so really am looking for an non-Amex card given the trouble with merchants accepting either Diners or Amex. Any recommendations on visa/mastercard options apart from the Qantas/Emirates branded ones?
Thanks again
J

Your Diners will give you more choice than most other cards.You can transfer to SPG and then onwards to several FF programs.The transfer to SPG is at the rate of 2 points to 1 SPG point-which is a better rate than with Amex.i use it to transfer to Aadvantage.you can actually transfer to AA but again at 2:1 so better value transferring via SPG.
As to Visa/MC there is little choice.I have a Citibank visa which has the QF,EK options but also to SQ.
Despite the naysayers I find reasonable acceptance with my DC including supoermarkets and petrol stations.Enough restaurants as well to keep me happy especially as on Wednesdays DC has a triple point promotion for restaurants.

Hi drron
Thanks for this.
I'm presuming by what you say is it is more beneficial to transfer points from Diners to SPG first and then transfer on to other FF programs?
Do you know offhand which FF program SPG has partnering with?
Thanks
J

There you go Futaris is on the ball.
It is best to transfer via SPG as for 20000 SPG points transferred to an airline they give you 5000 points bonus.No way will this Points Pirate miss out on a 25% bonus.:cool:

Thanks guys, you are on the ball!
One more question - Etihad seem to be off many lists and partners except through SPGFlights - has you/anyone figured out a way of redeeming points for Etihad without having to spend 500k:shock: for some European return flights!?
Cheers
J

Etihad Guest miles can only really be earnt by flying.

However, they do have a few partners. I don't think you can transfer miles into Etihad Guest or any FF partner except maybe via HHonors (at a 10000 HH:1000 EY rate).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back