Refunding money to cancelled card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith009

Established Member
Recently I had my charge card cancelled and replaced due to fraudulent activity (over $22k worth of tx I don't recognise went through in SIN :shock:). The old card was used to pay for a BMI redemption booking that I've had to cancel. BMI is insistent that they can only refund to the card that was used to pay for the booking (and I spoke to the lovely efficient ladies in Donnington rather than the ICC), and that since I'm still with the same credit provider they'd simply move my funds to the new card. The AMEX agent I spoke to concurred with this, that the funds will simply appear on the new card since both old and new cards are linked to the same account.

Can anyone forsee any problems with this? Would I have to do anything special to ensure the funds arrive on the card? It's a not insignificant amount of cash being refunded since this was a Cash+Points redemption with high TG fuel fines. :-|

I must say I'm v impressed with AMEX anti-fraud services. They rang me up the very next day and verified that I didn't just spend on over $20k worth of stuff in Singapore. They then cancelled the card and the replacement arrived 3 days later (didn't request emergency replacement as I still had my credit card). I didn't have to do anything on my part and the fraudulent charges have already been credited back to my account. Unlike my VISA debit account with ANZ bank where I had to call them myself, do endless paperwork, be treated like a criminal etc.

Last edited:
No, I see this working fine. Have had this done on both ANZ VISA and AMEX PLAT.

If AMEX say it's ok, then make sure they put a note on your account with that effect!

I that it will all work out fine, especially given that AMEX have endorsed it.

It should be fine:). I had a similar problem as I had to cancel my Wizard MC as an ATM in KUL swallowed it:evil:; when I got a refund from an airline months later (used that same card to purchase tickets), the credited amount appeared in my new MC credit card statement; whilst the actual card number might be different, the account number remains unchanged.

A few years ago, I cancelled one of my Amex cards, and then later on mistakenly made a direct deposit to that card instead of one of my other Amex's.

I realised what I had done, and everything worked out ok - the money actually went onto the closed account (and a statement was produced) and after a quick phonecall to Amex, they moved it over to the other account (and also gently chastised me for making the mistake).

As others have said it will end up as a credit on your new card.

I believe they keep the old card number "active" as such to allow for refunds to go back onto your account. Of course you cannot purchase anything with the old card number

Thanks everyone. Seems like it'd work out just fine. I was also advised by AMEX that the only difference between old and new cards is the last 5 digits, and that it all links back to the same account due to the middle 6 digits. Oh well, I'll know in a week or so as that's how long BMI refunds usually take to hit my card.

Recently I had my charge card cancelled and replaced due to fraudulent activity (over $22k worth of tx I don't recognise went through in SIN :shock:). The old card was used to pay for a BMI redemption booking that I've had to cancel. BMI is insistent that they can only refund to the card that was used to pay for the booking (and I spoke to the lovely efficient ladies in Donnington rather than the ICC), and that since I'm still with the same credit provider they'd simply move my funds to the new card. The AMEX agent I spoke to concurred with this, that the funds will simply appear on the new card since both old and new cards are linked to the same account.

If you did not authorize the charges and they are totally fraudulent, then AMEX should (every other bank does), be taking the action on your behalf.

What should be happening: you immediately dispute it with AMEX. They issue you with a new card in 24 hours (as per their plat policy) and hvae it sent wherever in the world you are. Amex should then 'remove' the transaction from your statement and initate a chargeback through the merchant's account. This should all be totally painfree for you (apart from the new card details).

You may lose out with this if you are not disputing the transaction because currency conversion will get you hard (unless the AUD has increased by 8%+ in that time in which case you may profit from a refund)

Amex contacting you a day later? Dude that's BAD++, not good at all. I've had cards with every major bank and used them all overseas many times.

EVERY bank called with in 1 hour of the purchase. Citibank was by far the best and called my mobile about 20 seconds after I walked out of the store to verify I had just made a (large) transaction.

Fraud sucks, hope it works out for you mate.

I believe that's all been done; the issue being addressed is a refund is due to the now cancelled card.

cards stay passive in the system for ~2months after they are cancelled.

Refunding the old card number will work fine.

When a card is cancelled, all that essentially happends is a block is put on it from making "withdrawals" or using the credit line, returning the response of do not honor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back