Redemption Value for Amex Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyladz

Intern
So the platinum card has an earning ascent point rate of 2.25 and for every 1000 points you can redeem back $5 for cashback. I checked on amex travel website and redemption on there is also the same. Has it always been like that? Or the only time to make the most value of your points is to do points transfer when theres bonus points offer on transfers. And what surcharge rate is good to break even?

So the platinum card has an earning ascent point rate of 2.25 and for every 1000 points you can redeem back $5 for cashback. I checked on amex travel website and redemption on there is also the same. Has it always been like that? Or the only time to make the most value of your points is to do points transfer when theres bonus points offer on transfers. And what surcharge rate is good to break even?
That's essentially true though there was a period earlier this year when the cashback was effectively quadrupled. As you say the value is in points transfers where I aim for 1c per Amex point (mostly 2c per airline point) as a basic redemption target.
I try to avoid paying surcharges but will do so sometimes to take advantage of the extended warranty perk. Otherwise, I can't make the maths work for anything over 0.5%

IMO surcharge paid also needs to be considered on what % of your transactions per statement have a surcharge charged vs none

If 10-15% of my statement has a surcharge of 1-1.5% I don't mind overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back