Redeeming Points

Discussion in 'Virgin Australia Velocity' started by leny, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. leny

leny Member

Dec 31, 2006
    WLG/BNE
    The taxes are $39 for all flights, and the number of points required to redeem the flight are different depending on the leghth of the flight, cities you are flying in between etc.. MY QUESTION IS.. Is it better in terms of value to book short flights or long flights using Velocity Points considering the $39 charge?
    This question is really hard to explain and I am tired so I hope someone out there gets it :D :oops:

2. N860CR

N860CR Established Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Brisbane & Sydney
    Velocity points required are based on the fare in terms of its dollar amount. Basically that means that if there is a cheap fare available for purchase on a particular flight then the points required for a reward booking will reflect that.

By logic, a longer flight (eg: SYD-PER) will cost more than a shorter flight (eg: SYD-BNE) so it will therefore require more rewards points, however neither represents better value as the points are quite simply based on the fare. The "best value" would be to book a good sale fare with the rewards points. For instance, I recently booked SYD-CHC-SYD for 7200 points plus about $180 in taxes. Realistically, this only saved me around $60 however it still isn't bad value.

I think the best value Velocity rewards are the long haul flights with their partner airlines like MH & EK. 55,000 points to BKK is less than the 60,000 required on Qantas and in my view works out better than booking domestic/NZ sectors.

3. jazzamcc

jazzamcc Junior Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Sydney
    I've redeemd two flights so far. They were ADL-SYD last July, and MEL-SYD for the Easter weekend. Both have been $120+ fares.
    When it comes to cheap flights, I think it is best to earn on those flights, rather than redeem points. Is it really worth using 1400 points to 'save' $9 vs 312 points earnt.

4. leny

leny Member

Dec 31, 2006
    WLG/BNE
    Thanks for your input :mrgreen: